Zeke-BE

Grandpa's Springfield 1917 rifle rebuild, maybe 6.5-06?

WWGD? What would Gramps do....

I have a few old rifles from my grandfather. He always said either hunt with my rifles or give them to someone that will. I have a .17 Remington Model 700 that he bought in the early 80's and he did a bunch of carving and scroll work to the original wood stock. I was always too nervous to take it in the field cause I didn't want to scratch the stock. On that gun a bought a stock a swapped it out so I can coyote hunt with it. I will always keep the nice wood stock but I just feel better hunting with the synthetic stock that I don't mind scuffing up. I also have a 7mag he had custom built in the 70's that I chose to change the scope out to a modern scope that I was more confident in hunting with. Bottom line for me, don't get hung up on preserving it, go hunt with it. If it needs a scope, put one on it. If Gramps always talked about refinishing it, then do it. I wouldn't do much machine work unless it is necessary to get it safe and shooting good, when I went to a modern scope,42mm, I had to get new rings.

• Like 1