JasCald02

NM Elk Scouting

Finally made it out to scout this weekend for next month's Elk hunt. It was a long hike in, but well worth it. :rolleyes:

Saw a decent sized herd (counted up to 50 by the time the all came out to feed) but no herd bulls were with them.....maybe they are still in bachelor groups? I have attached a couple pics of the trip (the elk pics are a little blurry as I tried taking them through my binoculars).

post-1874-1187549642_thumb.jpg

post-1874-1187549660_thumb.jpg

post-1874-1187549673_thumb.jpg

post-1874-1187549715_thumb.jpg

That's some high altitude elk country right there! Best of luck to ya! Thanks for sharin'. JIM>

The scenery alone will make your hunt a winner. Hope the bugling keeps you awake at night and you get to pursue a nice bull.

RR.

Would this be in unit 53? It looks very similar to an area I was backpacking in about a month ago. I saw about 175 elk including a number of bulls when I was there. I have never been up in the northern NM high country during elk season, but during the summer I always see a bunch hanging out at and above treeline.

Here is a pic with a herd of elk in the saddle. The batteries in the camera died before I attached it to my spotting scope to get good pictures.

post-213-1187561278_thumb.jpg

You have got to love the NM high country, especially in the summer where it makes for nice cool hiking and backpacking.

post-213-1187561607_thumb.jpg

H4L - Good eye! It is Unit 53.

I was up there last year for deer and saw more elk than deer. I agree, it is amazing country.....but can be taxing on the body if you are not in the greatest of shape.

Do you spend much time (hunting or backpacking) in the area?

I have never hunted up in northern NM, but I generally go on several backpacking trips during the summer into the Pecos wilderness, Wheeler Peak area, or Latir wilderness.