• N/A
  9. 9. How Much Of The Year Do You Have Cams Out

• Less Than A Month
    • 1 To 2 Months
    • 2 to 6 Months
    • 6 to 10 Months
    • All Year
    • N/A
  10. 10. Did I Waste My/Your Time With This Poll?????????

• Yes
    • No

I have a cam and I have used it. But I have to admit that there seems to be something not quite right about the use of trail cams. And I think that what is bothering me is that when everybody does it all the time, that it changes the face of hunting. I don't have a hard, well thought out argument about this, just a feeling that we're losing some kind of primal aspect, perhaps the mystey of not knowing what could possibly show up in the woods. It seems the more technology we incorporate in our lives, the more we become separated from the basic pleasures of simply BEING in God's creation.

Pretty deep huh?

OK how 'bout this: The more technolgy we use in the woods, the more busy we get, and the more we run into each other, and the more competition we create for ourselves. I'm talkin about hundreds of guides/clients, quads, high-tech bows, powerful optics, GPS systems, airplanes, Google Earth, and information sharing in internet chat rooms.

I miss the days when a few years spent in a particular area gave me an advantage over the other people that were too lazy to put in the work. Nowdays everybody knows everything and we're stumbling all over each other and equipment is being stolen or vandaized to regain that sense of advantage.

There's nothing wrong with trail cams, they just seem to be the icing on the overkill cake.

I'm remembering some old writing - think it was Abraham Lincoln - that said something like, "It's just getting too darn crowded. You can't even take a 5 mile walk in the woods anymore without finding someone else's axe handle"!

Mike

right on Rembrant, i agree completly, i don't own a trail cam and probably never will. i have way more fun going into an area not knowing exactly what is in there and that is fine with me. i think what it does is that it takes alot of the "hunt" out of hunting.

right on Rembrant, i agree completly, i don't own a trail cam and probably never will. i have way more fun going into an area not knowing exactly what is in there and that is fine with me. i think what it does is that it takes alot of the "hunt" out of hunting.

I do have cams, but I still agree with you Rembrant!!!! :D

It is actually quite a fun hobby if you like photography, hiking etc. I have never "hunted" a cam location myself, I use it more as a tool to let me know what is going on in the area. The kids really love it too! It gives us a chance to go hike in to a cam location and look at the latest pictures.

Personally there are alot of gadgets out there that take the hunt out of hunting, if you allow them to. An individual is supposed to use ethics to draw thier own line on how far to take it. Some folks push everything to the limit.

Well, this is my two cents worth. I am sure there are some that will disagree, but I am not here to argue with anybody. Just wanted to let you know how I felt on this subject: We live in a day of technological advancement. I think the cams are just another part of technology that we should take advantage of if we so choose to. A lot of people are scared of change, and that is fine if that is what you choose. I personally use my cams to scout an area. I have never hunted in a place that I have put my cams, just use them to help me to see if there is something in the area that I would want to put time into scouting and hunting. Most of my cams go into units that I don't have a tag for anyway, since I don't get these 'trophy' tags ever anyways. I think by using cams it helps those of us who cannot afford to spend the three dollars a gallon on fuel to be at that spot every single day. Before these cams came out and in the "old days" we didn't have to pay these high of prices on fuel either. Just a point to ponder. I come across people all the time that are wanting to do it the "old way" and not willing to change. That is fine, just don't get upset with me when I choose to use the technology that we have to make my job better. Hope I haven 't offended anybody here, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Trail cams are wonderful, guys. I'm just singing the blues about there being too many people in the woods.

Mike