silverthrice

36B Plan/Decision

The hunter access road off of Chavez Siding and I 19 has plenty of camp spots where you can get near others to feel safe at night. Their are plenty of deer in those hills but sometimes it feels that their are even more hunters. Best of luck!

My son and I both drew October 36B rifle tags, and are excited for the opportunity.

The units we're most familiar with are 32 and 33, so this will be a whole new adventure. We've hunted mearns quail near Sonotia and Patagonia, so we know what it's like to run into "hikers" that aren't suppose to be there.

My Jeep Rubicon with lockers will be our mode of transportation, and our method of hunting is sitting behind good optics on a tripod glassing the hillsides all day. Our plan is to get there the day before the hunt, and stay there all week if necessary...which is fine because for me it's not about getting a wall hanger, it's about spending time with my son.

Due to work commitments, we are unable to do any pre-season scouting....but I have no intention of asking where to hunt, as there's deer all over this unit.

However....because we plan on camping the whole time, I'm thinking it makes sense to camp at a location that's within shouting distance of other hunters, so I'd like to ask for suggestions on areas to camp that other hunters have found to be somewhat safe compared to me just picking a spot.

The way I see it, if there are deer scattered all over the unit, why not start with making a decision on where to camp, then figure out the hunting location from there.

Any thoughts or suggestions on camping locations would be appreciated very much.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

If you want to be more central in the Unit as well as close to some great hills... The Yellow Jacket Road right off of Ruby Road will always have good number of camps set up... Seems to be a favorite spot of the RV and Toy hauler Guys. Most clear out by Monday but usually a couple will stay through the hunt.