silverthrice

36B Plan/Decision

i had a completely different experience in 36b, saw numerous illegals and they made little effort to hide from us. but i hear sometimes they give up and just walk down the road, which is what we saw. we called BP. the first illegal crossers i ever saw i thought were backpackers or something because they just stood there on the side of the road and waved then walked off into an arroyo. didnt put 2 and 2 together until we saw more. the chick in the first group was pretty cute.

Same here ... I would say between scouting and hunts in the last 13 years we have about 45 plus trips and more than a couple hundred days out in those hills. Probably seen (run of the mill border crossers) on about 30 % of the trips and always reported them with GPS locations to the first BP we ran into or when we got cell signal. In November several times we have seen groups of 8 - 15 bundled up under trees like a big pack of Javalina trying to stay warm in the cold of the morning. In that same 13 years we have seen and called in 7 groups of mules and 2 groups of Banditos all but 2 in the Tumacacori Range ... Never had a camp messed with or vehicle vandalized like others but you can not take anything for granted anymore.

Be careful trying to load the cute ones up down there trphy ... good way to end up in cuffs and lose a vehicle.

Lots of deer all over the unit. Hiking in a good ways off the main trails will only increase your chance of tagging a good buck. I've seen a lot of people "truck hunt" from the road. So by just getting out the truck and hiking in a good ways will increase your odds.

1. Illegals/Drug Mules are out there. Always keep your head on a swivel. I always carry a sidearm with extra mags in my pack hip pouches. Driving your truck out and then hiking in should be no problem as long as you have 4x4 to use in some spots. Always keep anything worth breaking into your truck out of sight. I don't keep an ice chest in my truck anymore. I'm afraid one day someone will pass by my truck, see the cooler and break my window to get some water. I now keep a cheap ice chest in the bed of the truck whenever we do take the truck out.

2. Camping in big groups is always good. Our base camp usually has anywhere from 10-15 people on our hunts. With a few of those people staying in camp all day. My grandfather has gout and can no longer hunt so he just likes to go camping with us and be the "camp cook". If you're not hunting with a big group, maybe consider camping next to a main road and driving in everyday? If you have a camper on your truck maybe just drive in and sleep in your truck wherever you may be that night?

Lots of good areas to hunt in 36b with pretty easy access. Almost any spot in 36b will hold coues deer. I've noticed in the past years more and more coues hanging out lower in the rolling hills. Grab your tripod/binos, set up on a big hill and glass. You'll find em!

Thanks makes sense with leaving the cooler in the truck. And i definitely have 4x4 I have a 1994 toyota Land cruiser with locking diffs. You have me intrigued, with the lower rolling hills. That iss interesting I thought they liked to stay high and tight away from anything that doesn't resemble a fellow coues deer. Whats your opinion on why they are hangout out on lower hills ?

Not sure why they are hanging out in the lower elevations. I would guess hunting pressure? In the last few years I've seen coues in same general areas I see mulies. Most of them seem to be pretty decent sized.

• Like 1

Be careful trying to load the cute ones up down there trphy ... good way to end up in cuffs and lose a vehicle.

when i think back about it, its like thinking of missing a big buck. i probably could of had a clean house and tamales for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

I'll be following this thread. I drew the same post Thanksgiving 36B tag. I drew the same tag last year and managed to fill the tag with a little buck. Last year I was down there with a couple of friends and my dad came out from CA to stay in camp while we were out hunting (for security). There was a ton of border patrol activity, but we only ran into one illegal traveling alone while we were hunting. We were in the truck at the time, so we drew our pistols and drove up to him in case he wasn't alone....he was flagging us down for help. He had been out there for 7 days trying to find his way to Tucson.....temps were about 17 degrees at night and he had nothing but a very thin long sleeve shirt and jeans. This guy was desperate and really just wanted to be rescued. We made sure he had water and pointed him back towards the main road, then let the nearest border patrol know his location.

I am very new to 36b, last year was my first year. This year I will be hunting and camping alone. I plan on setting up a camp off a main road and driving/hiking for my daily hunts. I felt like I learned a lot more about the animal last year and plan on putting down something bigger than a forkie this year.

If the OP wants to set up in my camp, you are more than welcome. I will either be heading down the afternoon of Thanksgiving or about 3 am the next morning. I took the week after Thanksgiving off work, so I will be down there until I fill my tag. I will stay and help you fill your tag and pack meat if I fill my tag before you.

• Like 4

Not to turn the discussion but don't you all find it rediculous that we have to have concerns about this BS?

To the op.... Lots of deer close to roads and far away from roads..... Some of the better bucks are in "mule deer" country but they are tougher to find and hunt. Carry a side arm have BP direct phone number and have a good time! Good luck!

• Like 3

Hunted that unit for many years, pulled some nice deer outta there. Just go in with the attitude of "if you leave me alone I'll leave you alone."And if things get outta control just shoot and shovel.Its acutely pretty simple we are in OUR country !!! Just don't go looking for problems. Most of all just hunt,and enjoy most of them don't want any problems either, and you have home field advantage!! Good luck , I'd be more worried about snakes.

• Like 1

What's the difference between being concerned with coming across someone wishing to steal your things or do you harm while hunting along the border vs. coming across someone wanting to do you harm or steal your things while in the city, or your house, or having dinner at a nice place with your family? Maintaining situational awareness and being ready for violence of action at any moment are key elements of being a responsibly armed citizen.

There's a ton of deer down there. Be smart and you shouldn't have any issues with 2 legged critters.

• Like 1

I'll be following this thread. I drew the same post Thanksgiving 36B tag. I drew the same tag last year and managed to fill the tag with a little buck. Last year I was down there with a couple of friends and my dad came out from CA to stay in camp while we were out hunting (for security). There was a ton of border patrol activity, but we only ran into one illegal traveling alone while we were hunting. We were in the truck at the time, so we drew our pistols and drove up to him in case he wasn't alone....he was flagging us down for help. He had been out there for 7 days trying to find his way to Tucson.....temps were about 17 degrees at night and he had nothing but a very thin long sleeve shirt and jeans. This guy was desperate and really just wanted to be rescued. We made sure he had water and pointed him back towards the main road, then let the nearest border patrol know his location.

I am very new to 36b, last year was my first year. This year I will be hunting and camping alone. I plan on setting up a camp off a main road and driving/hiking for my daily hunts. I felt like I learned a lot more about the animal last year and plan on putting down something bigger than a forkie this year.

If the OP wants to set up in my camp, you are more than welcome. I will either be heading down the afternoon of Thanksgiving or about 3 am the next morning. I took the week after Thanksgiving off work, so I will be down there until I fill my tag. I will stay and help you fill your tag and pack meat if I fill my tag before you.

I appreciate the offer "Cells4soul" I will confirm with you early November once I figure out my schedule in regards to Turkey day. Its sorta of a big thing in my family and they might disown me lol. If so can you be my new family lol jk. Again I appreciate the offer.

Stay Aware.. Have fun!!

I leave a cooler in camp and in sight full of nothing but water. IF they are going to take anything, its water and food. They don't want your stuff. Their plan is to get to "point B" without notice...

After years of going down there, I have yet to have anyone steal from camp. Now, up in 6a is a different story LOL..

• Like 1

Here is an old story of mine from 2010.

Location: 36B / Campsite off Ruby Rd. Overnight scouting trip Nov 17th to 18th, 2010

Attendants: Just me, solo!
Arrival: 1447 Hours. Nov. 17th. Campsite organization
Evening scouting: 1530 - 1810 H
Return to campsite: 1836 H
Dinner: 1940 H
Activity: 2020 H. A strange looking dude walking on Ruby Rd. going east. He looked like he was going to fall on the ground any minute. I think I heard him say something like "money, money". I didn't understand whether he was giving away money or wanted some. In any event, he did not get off the road and approached my "territory". I was, coincidentally, standing behind the tent at that time and was watching his moves and his hands. You can guess where my hand was (I am a lefty).
Company: 2056 H. Saw first BP truck. Informed him of the above and invited the officer for leftovers. He declined as he had already eaten. Told me that he had "one in the cage" and that he was going to look for the one I told him about.
Trouble: 2146 H. My car died! I forgot that I had the portable fridge running in the back and that drained my battery. Waited patiently and calmly.
Solution: 2212 H saw BP going west. Stopped to help me. Called in his colleagues for jumper cables. They came in 10 minutes. Car was running again.
Conversation: 2225 H. BP asked me if I was alone. I said "yes". He then continued and said that I must have "a lot of guts and courage" to stay overnight alone.

SCARY TWIST: They NEVER found that strange dude that night...and I did wake up, alive, at 0552 H on the morning of Nov. 18th.

Happy hunting!
Ace

PS: I always camp SOLO. I am a licensed HAM operator and have access to repeaters for communication. Keystone repeater is the closest and no issues (most of the time) hitting it. Going back to 36B for late November hunt.

I appreciate the offer "Cells4soul" I will confirm with you early November once I figure out my schedule in regards to Turkey day. Its sorta of a big thing in my family and they might disown me lol. If so can you be my new family lol jk. Again I appreciate the offer.

My name is Gerrit. I should've put that in the post. I get the Thanksgiving thing, I will be with family as well. Keep in touch and we can work out a meeting spot if that works for you too. My stepson will likely be down there until Sunday and then I will be meeting his mama in Tucson to pick him up so he can be in school on Monday. I will be focusing on his tag my first few days.

My son and I both drew October 36B rifle tags, and are excited for the opportunity.
The units we're most familiar with are 32 and 33, so this will be a whole new adventure. We've hunted mearns quail near Sonotia and Patagonia, so we know what it's like to run into "hikers" that aren't suppose to be there.
My Jeep Rubicon with lockers will be our mode of transportation, and our method of hunting is sitting behind good optics on a tripod glassing the hillsides all day. Our plan is to get there the day before the hunt, and stay there all week if necessary...which is fine because for me it's not about getting a wall hanger, it's about spending time with my son.
Due to work commitments, we are unable to do any pre-season scouting....but I have no intention of asking where to hunt, as there's deer all over this unit.
However....because we plan on camping the whole time, I'm thinking it makes sense to camp at a location that's within shouting distance of other hunters, so I'd like to ask for suggestions on areas to camp that other hunters have found to be somewhat safe compared to me just picking a spot.
The way I see it, if there are deer scattered all over the unit, why not start with making a decision on where to camp, then figure out the hunting location from there.
Any thoughts or suggestions on camping locations would be appreciated very much.
Thanks, and good luck to all.