Sign in to follow this  
Wyorawhide

Unit 32

I took my son into unit 32 yesterday to look over some new country. We seen around 30 deer. For certain 5 were bucks. The antler growth has just started. All five bucks had antlers about 4 inches long. The deer were located between 3500 feet and 4500 feet. (I imagine that they were even higher but we didn' get any higher). We located all of the bucks right around the 4000 foot mark. They all looked good and they seemd to be doing well. The oaks showed a few acorns starting. It will be a few more weeks before we will be able to tell what kind of mast crop we will have. Any of the tanks on the map that I had, and could locate, are dry.

It was some beautiful country and we were happy with the deer that we spotted.

i am eighteen and have been scarred by couse hunting, due to a sour experience in the 27/28 late hunt last year. however this year my older brother and i drew october tags for unit 32. i know it pretty well and it sounds like you really found a hotspot. would you mind telling me where you were, or does any have any tips on where to plan a scouting trip?

Now telling you exactly where I was wouldn't be fair. It took a little time and effort on my part to get out and look around. I did however give elevations. With a Topo map you can narrow it down to about 10% of the hunt unit. I do think water (springs and tanks on the topo map) and elevation (Contour lines on the topo map) have a lot to do with where you will find the deer. Visit the G&F websight and read the hunt unit report.

They will give you a pretty good idea of where you can look around. We found an awsome whitetail buck last weekend. I didn't draw so I am up there looking around for a bear. Keep seeing deer though. And Bighorn sheep.

Sorry to hear about your sour experience. Hike in a ways and get away from people, (hunt unit report), and you will have a good hunt.

Do not go out without a pair of binoculars. Even a bad pair is better than no glasses at all. If you don't have any, get ahold of me and I can give you a few ideas on how to come up with the best pair you can afford.

Dean

The advice on bino's is the most important thing. You really need to get to any high spot if you are in unfamiliar territory, and glass long and in a grid pattern. Get up high before first light and glass, glass. Maybe move after 1/2 hour if you havent seen deer, and set up again and glass for a couple more hours. Unit 27 can piss you off due to the terrain, but the southern units like 32 should allow you to view alot of area if you have 15X bino's.........keep up and dont give up............Allen...........