Sign in to follow this  
Sandman74

AZ Hunt

I just found this website and all I can say is it is awesome. There is a ton of cool stories and some great information on here. I am from Idaho and pretty new to Coues hunting. I drew a New Mexico muzzy tag in 2014 and that was my first opportunity to chase Coues around. I never killed one but it was an amazing hunt and I learned so much. After that hunt I can see why people turn into Coues fanatics. The hunt kind of reminded me of how I hunt for mule deer in Idaho I spend a ton of time behind glass in an area that has pretty low deer populations. Anyhow this year I was really wanting to go chase Coues again so I put in in AZ and NM, I ended up getting lucky and drawing in both states. My hunt in AZ opens 2 days after the one in NM closes so it should work out pretty well for doing it all in one trip. I have hunted the Burros before so I have a good plan there but I am totally new to the 30B area in AZ. I have done some research and I am planning on hunting the Mule mountains. I have read the info on the AZ fish and game website about the unit and it sounds like it is going to be hard work to access some of the areas. That was part of the reason I picked that unit as one of my choices, I really do like to work hard and get away from the crowds. I was wondering if anybody could give me some info on the chances of having run ins with illegals there and if so is it wise to backpack in and stay overnight. Is it safe to leave a vehicle unattended overnight around there? I know where ever you hunt it is never a guarantee that some jerk isn't going to mess with you but I am taking my son along with me for this hunt and I am trying to take extra precautions. Any info on meat cutters in the area or any access issues would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel. RJ

Which dates did you draw. I got a friend that got drawn same unit but I think he's after mulies, but I think he can do whitetail too. He was a little worried about hunting alone since his friend he got drawn with can't go now. I can say something to him maybe you guys can help each other out. I wouldn't worry to much about the illegal traffic there. Access can be somewhat limited but the guy I mentioned knows a guy that has a ranch right in the mules that might let you guys access it. As butchers go there's the meat packing plant in Wilcox, and guzmans in sun sites.

Checked with dude. He's got some people he's planning on going out with but his tag is a mulie tag anyways. 30B is a big unit though and theres lots of places to check out.

The North end of the Mule Mtns will hold the highest number of deer but access is very difficult. You can get within a mile from the northwest base of the range by accessing the High Lonesome road from Davis Rd. Walk in from there. Glass the open grassy slopes and ridgelines. Bucks also like to hang out in ocotillo. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Reloader30cal. I haven't checked the boards for a while. I got on Google earth and found the area you were talking about. I will check it out for sure as I will be there several days before the season. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again.