Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

The week before the Hunt.....

I can't remember the last time I was so upset!! You do everything as you're suppose to and you still get ripped off.

So, the area I wanted to Bear and Deer Hunt has two ways in - The short way which was purchased and locked off a few years ago and the long way which was open until Today. As recommended, I contacted the ranch owner that has the short way locked and asked permission to cross his property so I could hunt the Public land - he respectfully declined me access. So, I contacted the Ranch owner on the Long way and was granted permission. Since the Public land I was going to hunt was part of the short way ranches grazing allotment, I contacted the Short way ranch to let them know that I had been granted access through the long way ranch and that I would be in there hunting. I've been down scouting on two different trips in August & September and on both trips I've checked in with the long way ranch hand and had what I thought were pleasant conversations. The Ranch hand gave some recommendations on where else to look and told me he would even keep an eye out for the bear I was planning to hunt. Since the long way is really taking a toll on my truck I sent an e-mail to the short way ranch to ask one more time if they would reconsider granting access - and here's my mistake - I enclosed a picture of the bear. Well they never responded to my e-mail but tonight I recieved a call from the Game and Fish WM for the unit informing me that the Long way has now been closed - stating that the reason for the closure was due to me being "rude". At no time was I ever rude - I went out of my way to let the ranchers know where I would be and when I would be there.

I have no reason to believe the long way ranch is doing anything unfairly as they are a long standing AZ ranching family that has always had open access through their ranch and I even showed them the bear pictures I had back in August. They have a wonderful history in our state and unlike many ranching families I've never heard a negative comment about them. I just find it very difficult to believe that the short way ranch isn't behind this - not more than a week after they get my second request and a picture of the bear I was going to hunt my only way in gets closed.

Now what adds insult to injury is I have a trailcam setup that I most likely won't beable to retrieve. The WM is going to try to help me on that front but no promises were made.

Oh man that sucks. Let me know if I can be of any help. My daughter and I will be heading down next weekend so give me a shout if you want. Maybe we can help you get the cam back.

Phil

It almost sounds like somebody else was rude to the rancher but yours is the only name they remembered because you were doing it right so they used you for the excuse. Have you contacted the Public Land management agency for the area to see if there is other ways into the area?