Sign in to follow this  
CouesUnlimited

Reloading for .264

to me, the most critical part is getting the overall length correct. there is big disparity in the throat length from gun to gun and especially from gun manufacturers. Lark.

I agree with you 100% I couldn't get good results, until I realized this. Makes a huge difference.

I shot a custom 264 win mag for awhile before giving it to my son who still has it. It wasn't very fussy at all. It shot any bullet from 100 grains to 160 grains and 140 factory loads to the same point of aim, which was convenient. We used anything from H4895 (for practice loads so the barrel would last longer) to H870 with good results. It really liked 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips but they are a poor game bullet when driven that fast.

Mark

there's a lot more to it than putting powder and bullets in a case. the advantage of reloading is getting a load that really works well in your rifle. we've used different variations of 4831 with real good success in the .264. my current preference is h4831sc hodgdon. i like 100 gr bullets, my son likes 125's. just having someone reload some ammo for you may or may not be advatagious. you really need the rifle there in order to get the overall length just right. all reloading manuals have enough info to help a guy get started. but again, to me, the most critical part is getting the overal length correct. there is big disparity in the throat length from gun to gun and especially from gun manufacturers. Lark.

I realize that there is a lot to reloading and I would probaly not do it myself. My Dad just shoots a .264 and he cannot find anyone in town to reload. He just wants to get 120 gr. reloads that are as close to factory load as possible. He shot 120 ballasitics for years and has killed GOBS of deer with them. I think we will try Gean at the Gun Show. Thanks again for everyones help.

Ryan