Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

Delorme Topo 10 No Longer Supported

I tried to post this under the Garmin sub-form, but am not allowed to.

The computer topographic products offered originally by Delorme have been a real boon to back woods trip planning and travel for me. With a GPS hooked to a laptop a navigator is able to track and explore routes live. This is like having Google Maps with full 7.5 quads as the map plus the ability to waypoint and create routs. I have several hundred dollars invested in statewide maps and satellite photography.

Recently the six year old Windows 7 laptop I use decided to no longer run Topo 10. Topo 10 is now running just fine on my new Windows 10 laptop and a windows 10 desktop. When exploring this issue I contacted Garmin who purchased Delorme and was told they don't support the Topo products and raster based maps cannot be used in BaseCamp. I believe they want you to buy their topo maps for Basecamp. Unless I don't understand correctly the problem with this is 1) the maps are only available for a $29.99 annual subscription, 2) can't be downloaded to your local machine and 3) are only accessible with an internet connection. I don't know about everyone else but most of my hunt units don't have cellular coverage making this option useless except for creating paper maps and way points to load in a handheld GPS.

This is a great loss of functionality to me and I hope i have it wrong. Who as subscribed to the topographic maps with Basecamp and can you download them and use them without an internet connection?

Thank you,