Sign in to follow this  
rgonz8

Burro Mountain Coues Deer - Need a place to start

I drew a late season archery tag for Coues deer in the Burro mountain area in Unit 23. I am only vaguely familiar with the area and was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to even start scouting? It'd be a tough hunt no matter what, but i was hoping for a bit of advice before I go check it out.

Thanks in advance

Where are you coming from? How do you like to hunt? (sitting water, treestands, spot and stalk, ect...) Have you been to this area before? The reason I'm asking, is that the area is so diverse. I just killed a coues buck in there yesterday on the rifle hunt, and could throw you a (very general) bone or two. There are open areas you can glass, and thicker areas where you can sit in a tree. So, how are you hunting?

Where are you coming from? How do you like to hunt? (sitting water, treestands, spot and stalk, ect...) Have you been to this area before? The reason I'm asking, is that the area is so diverse. I just killed a coues buck in there yesterday on the rifle hunt, and could throw you a (very general) bone or two. There are open areas you can glass, and thicker areas where you can sit in a tree. So, how are you hunting?

Foundry Man,

I'm coming from Santa Fe. I was planning on taking a scouting trip in one or two weeks and haven't been to the Burro mountain area of the unit. I'll be spot and stalk hunting so I'd prefer more open country for glassing.

Thanks in advance for some info!

Robert

rgonz8, hey man, I hope your hunt goes good. These tags are few and far between, so it's not like I am going to be hunting "my" honey hole year after year. But, a good buddy of mine showed me the spot where I killed my buck, so I can't give exact locations (out of respect to him) but I could tell you this, if you want open country to glass, hunt the north end of the unit. It is remote. I did not see another hunter the whole time I was out. Never heard a shot either. The areas north of saddle rock would be a good place for you to start looking. It will be easier for you to find deer in Jan. when they are moving more. It was warm on my hunt, and it was kind of hard. PM me if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to help you out. You may want to check with Tommy at Gila Wilderness Hunting. (see his addd on this site)>>Jason