Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Buddy needs help, razor down off FR300

Good job Lee! This is what the hunting community should be like. Help each other out. Hope he gets it fixed. Glad he is back at camp with his family.

• Like 2

Plan A was a success. The razor is back at the toy hauler.

• Like 1

What caused the studs to shear?

I have not seen them but the most likely cause is improper heat treating during manufacturing that left the part either to soft or to brittle. I have seen a number of fastener failures on Polaris products resulting from improper heat treating. Guess # 2 is loose lug nuts.
Reason I asked is if the problem isn't addressed it'll happen again. Are there after market rims on it?

Once we worked out the details for plan A he was fairly confident he could pull it off alone, which he did. I never had to go over to the razor so I didn't see the rims. Plan B was to lash a tongue to it and turn it into a trailer. I would have had to load up some junk and head over for that one.

Overtightening can also cause shearing.

Good point.

Good job Lee! This is what the hunting community should be like. Help each other out. Hope he gets it fixed. Glad he is back at camp with his family.

It is just one of those situations where you pay it forward and hope when you are the one in trouble someone does the same for you. USFS deserves a round of applause here for getting them back to camp. Can you imagine a 12 mile hike with a 4 month old and 2 year old?