bowsniper

Does camera noise spook whitetails?

I'm shopping for a game camera, and I'd rather not spend the big bucks for a digital camera, but I'm concerned that the mechanical noise of the film camera may spook the bucks so that they may not come back. Do you guys have any comments about this?

Thanks

I havent had any problems with the noise or the flash spooking big bucks. I got 16 photos of the 100" buck I got and 11 of one that had to be around 120". I also got multiple photos of 90" bucks. The one thing that you need to worry about with film cams is bears like the taste of film. They will play with digital cams but usually wont eat them. Another advantage to using digital is that you can look at the photos in the field, and you can get many more pictures on digitals. The bad thing about digital is the initial price, but it will save you money in the long run on developing prices. I have had my cams up for a total of 2 months each, and have over 1000 pictures on the digitals and only 100 on the film, and they have been out the same amount of time. I hope this helps you.

GMM

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, If you quit getting pics from a certain spot, move the cam a few yards. A lot of times they will just move out of camera range, they wont change that much, most of the time it is only 15 to 20 yards.

GMM

I just got my first roll of film developed from my first trail cam. I had it set to take three pictures everytime motion is detected. on every ocasion the deer looked directly at the the camera when it went off most of the deer seemed to just continue on it thier buisness but with one doe you could see her looking at the camera on first picture and then running away on the next two. I dont know wheather she came back or not becuase its hard to tell one doe from another and it was at the end of the roll.

and on the digital issue, I wish I had one. in the week I had my camera out it took all 24 exposers within 24 hours but the sensor was set off 99 times(3 times for each deer)actually it was likely more, but 99 is as high as the counter goes. If I had a digital I could be looking at at least 33 more deer instead of the seven I got. java script:emoticon(':ph34r:')

either way it is exiting looking at your pictures.