Can anyone give me some pointers on elk in 5a. Maybe some of you archery hunters that were up there this season. Ive been scouting around blueridge and hospital ridge but havnt had much luck seeing any elk other than some raghorns. Im going to try around telephone and see what happens this weekend? Are the elk lower in this unit towards the northern (and lower) end of the unit or am i just in the wrong place? Ive tried another site to get some pointers with no luck, so as a last resort I decided to post here....I usually like to keep it all about coues, but now Im desperate! THanks everyone in advnace.

J-rod

J-Rod,

Are you one of those people that thinks you gotta hunt pines to kill an elk?

By all means go lower, in fact start as low as you can, and work up from there. Start down there where a lot of folks call "winter range".

It's not.

Mike

You should not hunt elk unless there are aspens around. Does 5A have aspen trees? If so, I would look around there. Rembrant is crazy :(. Pinyons and Junipers are awesome for mule deer and coyotes but unhealthy for elk :unsure:.

Seriously, years back my family always hunted it and could always find bulls in or around Yeager canyon. That was a long time ago though and the bulls were never monsters, mostly 5x5's or small 6x6's if they passed on a bunch of smaller bulls during the hunts. Good luck

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

Oh, way to go BullW. Now nobody will take my advise. And after all of this work of instilling awe into the hearts of the unlearned.

Mike

I've hunted 5a for over 20 years their is ton of elk.try off the 95 road past east clear creek. take the fork north to the 300 road. you should do good in between that area. I've seen a # of 320 to 350 class bull in thier. mike

Thanks guys, I'll give these spots a whirl and let you know how things go. And thanks to you Bull, I can always count on you for a funny or two!