BowNut

Dads new project

This is my dads new toy. Actually this was my sons rifle that my dad traded him for his Ruger M77 270. My son will be doing more hunt in the future so my dad upgraded him for an even swap. Not sure my son thinks it is so even now!!LOL!! The first is a before picture then the rest are the work in progress. I will post more pictures as he completes it.The rifle is a 243 win H&R single shot I think it will be a sweet rifle when it is complete. The wood is Fiddle Back Maple I can't wait to see it with a finish on it.

post-1013-1198557369.jpg

post-1013-1198557390.jpg

post-1013-1198557406.jpg

post-1013-1198557423.jpg

Dallas, if he does the right finish on that gun, it surely will shine nice! i would put something that complments the blonde with the tiger stripes! something light in color.

Dallas, if he does the right finish on that gun, it surely will shine nice! i would put something that complments the blonde with the tiger stripes! something light in color.

Casey Everything looks good with a blond in tiger stripes!!!! :P I thinks he is going to go with the natual look but he is not sure if he wants it a semi gloss or glossy finish. I was going to tell him he need to find some peices of the same wood and try a bunch of finishes to find the best one.

That's really cool. Did he make the stock himself or buy it?

Does anyone make triggers, barrels, custom scope mounts, etc for the H&R's?

That's really cool. Did he make the stock himself or buy it?

Does anyone make triggers, barrels, custom scope mounts, etc for the H&R's?

I will get some websites from him they make barrels in almost any major caliber out there. Not sure on the custom scope mounts the rail is for Weaver mounts. He may need to find some custom mounts because the hammer extender he got for Christmas hits the bottom of the scope and its not to safe letting the hammer down without it with the scope on. He bought the stock off the web. As far a the triggers I know they can be work by a gunsmith and some come with adjustable triggers. Not sure if they have aftermarket triggers or not. From what he has found on the web these are very inexpensive to work on and build and they shoot very well!!!

Casey Everything looks good with a blond in tiger stripes!!!! :P I thinks he is going to go with the natual look but he is not sure if he wants it a semi gloss or glossy finish. I was going to tell him he need to find some peices of the same wood and try a bunch of finishes to find the best one.

True that!

Go with a gloss finish, then work it back down to no gloss with 0000 steel wool. that way it is less likely to scare off coyotes coming into the call!

Couple new pics. These pics do not do much for the wood My dads camera is very old. I will see if I can get some from out at the range.Now the fun starts finding the best load for it! Can not wait to see how it shoots.

post-1013-1199379155.jpg

post-1013-1199379195.jpg

I am interested in how it shoots.

Had the same base rifle in .243 super light youth. Had a difficult time getting better than a 4-inch group at 100 yards because the barrel was so thin and light (at least that is what we think the reason was). Two shots and it would heat up so bad you could not touch it. Belive it or not it was also one of the hardest kicking rifles I have ever shot until I filled the stock and added a decelerator recoil pad.

I imagine your Dad's rifle will shoot better though with the wood stock and that scope.

AZ Jim

I am interested in how it shoots.

Had the same base rifle in .243 super light youth. Had a difficult time getting better than a 4-inch group at 100 yards because the barrel was so thin and light (at least that is what we think the reason was). Two shots and it would heat up so bad you could not touch it. Belive it or not it was also one of the hardest kicking rifles I have ever shot until I filled the stock and added a decelerator recoil pad.

I imagine your Dad's rifle will shoot better though with the wood stock and that scope.

AZ Jim

Not sure if this was a super light but it was the youth rifle. All that has ever been shot from it was my own reloads never had any groups like you are talking about. My dad is going to use it for varmint hunting. Got him some 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and some 62gr. Barnes Varmint Grenades we will have to see how they shoot. Let you know once he gets a load worked out.