Sign in to follow this  
CouesSlayer

My Biggest Archery Mule Deer Yet

post-274-1199544438.jpg

post-274-1199544450.jpgpost-274-1199544469.jpg

Check it out! Not the biggest, but a great deer! Notice the cut on his ear...He got that when he was fighting the big one B)

Ok here's the story...

We spotted a big buck at the bottom of the canyon we were hunting and he was chasing a doe. He followed her over the top and that's when we decided to close the distance between us and them. We got around the ridge and found them again and there was another group of deer just up the canyon from them. The buck suddenly stopped chasing the doe and seemed to make a mad dash for a tank in the bottom. My brother and I sprinted down the mountain to beat him there while my dad stayed on top with his binoculars to watch and give us hand signals. When we made it I set my brother up behind me and had him work the can and a grunt tube. Fifteen minutes passed and the buck never showed. We got up and headed back up the mountain I suddenly had the feeling to look to my left, and sure enough my buck was across the canyon looking right at me and my brother out in the wide open. I looked up at my dad and he told us to sneak around the other side and get on top again. When we made it there we figured out why the buck never made it to water he ran into my buck and they had a major fight. My buck was the loser and had come around the side but turned back around to get his does back. By this time three more mature bucks joined the party. They were all in a little draw with a little oak and juniper. We decided if we could somehow get to the edge unoticed one of those buck would walk by and present a shot.

Thirty minutes later....

My brother and I sneek up to the edge and get in some oak brush. I spot two does across the draw and one is looking at us. I peek down in the bottom and a heavy wide three point is milling around at 56 yards. It would be a tough shot, the angle was steep and he was surrounded by does. Just when I was getting ready to draw my brother tapped me on the back and pointed to my left. A forky and my buck were feeding in some oak brush. I ranged him at thirty yards and drew back very slowly. I settled my pin a touch behind his shoulder and squeezed off the trigger. All those hours of practicing paid off as I watched my arrow hit it's mark perfectly. It passed completely through and the buck jumped and ran up hill five yards. He turned back and ran his death sprint downhill right by me and piled up forty yards away in the bottom of the drainage. There was a touch of ground shrinkage on this one but he's still my biggest bow kill. He was the second biggest buck in the group. He has ten points with a groken cheater on his G-2. I couldn't be happier with this deer! :lol: It's great when your stalk works exactly how you plan it.

NICE CARP!!! Will look sharp on the wall! You live in Silver City, NM? You must know Tommy Maldonado??? He has a Pope & Young mouse he nailed in his RV. Ask him about it some time, I'm not sure if it's back from the taxidermist yet!

CM

NICE CARP!!! Will look sharp on the wall! You live in Silver City, NM? You must know Tommy Maldonado??? He has a Pope & Young mouse he nailed in his RV. Ask him about it some time, I'm not sure if it's back from the taxidermist yet!

CM

Hahaha I know some Maldonado's is his son Tito?