couesarcher

Unit 37B Javelina

Well, I spent all day Friday and Saturday in unit 33 glassing until my eyes were bleeding, at least they felt that way by the end of the day.

So I decided to do some research, I have sat at this computer for over an hour and a half trying to find a post that I read last year about this time. I tried to search for "unit 37B Javelina" and it gives me a error that some of the key words do not contain four characters, or something to that effect. Has anyone seen this error and how do you get past this?

I don't remember who was involved in the topic, but it petains to unit 37B and Javelina hunting.

One of the members gave some advise on a spot to start. What I do remember they said was to take the Florence / Kevlin Hwy back to the hills south of the river. They talked about they always are into pigs in this area.

I have never been in that general area, is their any private property along this section that I would need to worry about? As with most mountain ranges there are always numerous trails or dirt roads that go everywhere, Is this the same for this area?

Any help would greatly be appreciated, and if someone can help me understand how to retrieve info off of the search section, that would be awesome.

Terry

There are pigs in every major wash in the the unit. Find a big wash coming off the San Pedro on the east side and hunt it. Same with unit 33.

Personally, I would have spent the hour and a half searching for my own pig spot rather than search the internet for someone elses. Pigs are everywhere. Take a walk down a sandy wash and look for rooting, chewed up prickly pear cactus, pig poo and trails. Also stop and listen if you are seeing lots of fresh sign. Pigs are very loud when they are feeding or moving around. They also smell pretty bad. You will probably smell them before you see them. Good luck.

There are alot of private ranches on the south side of the Kelvin highway. Just look for posted signs, but there are tons of pigs out there and you will probably see some muleys as well, just pick a small hill and start glassing. On the search function, if a word has less than 3 characters try adding * to the end of it (shift 8). Many of the old posts on here were lost though due to server changes, dont remember how long ago that was.

bmf1321,

If you would have read my post or maybe you need to re-read it again. I never asked for anyone to show me or tell me were to go in the unit. I asked two questions, 1) is there any private property and 2) are there numerous trails or dirt roads in the area. I don't believe thats very unreasonable to ask.

Hello all, new member. Looks like a good group with some great stories and advice to share!

My first time hunting, and my dad (experienced hunter, but no kills with bow yet) my best friend Zack (several bow kills under his belt, but no Jave's yet) and my brother in law Justin (1st hunt, hunting with a 1960's bear traditional bow... no sights... shelf rest.... he groups unbeleivable at 30-40 yards) are all hunting Javelina in 33 and 37b.

Last weekend, worked the tributary washes around Peppersauce in 33... lots of off road vehicles, didn't see any Jave's the first day. Sign all over, but a lot of pressure down there. We were given a spot to try by a Pinal County Sherrif's deputy near Tiger Mine. Saw at least 8 muleys up there the next day, but no horns. (Justin said he though he saw a buck though) Not much javelina sign though. Came back to Peppersauce that day, driving up the wash (weren't anywhere near where we intended to go yet) spotted 2 or 3 pigs up on on the side of a hill... got way too close to them in the trucks before we spotted them, they were in the next county by the time we grabbed our bows.

We settled on working 37b for this weekend, I'm thinking Tortilla Mountains, both south side and San Pedro side. Haven't scouted there so we'll just be scouting with our bows and hopefully get lucky!

At any rate, wanted to see if any of you have been on the pipeline road up off of Freeman road and/or up Camino Rio along the San Pedro from there. We nearly lost a jeep trying to get up out of Peppersauce last weekend and don't want to repeat the same mistake again... anyone know what kind of shape those two roads are in?

If anyone wants to offer any advice on locations or tactics, I would appreciate it. We didn't have a chance to do any scouting and don't know the area at all. If not, we are happy to put in our dues and learn as we go. Who knows, maybe we get lucky!

Thanks! :P

I guess I should keep secret any great spots... however, since we haven't found any yet I'm more than happy to share the places we DIDN'T find Javelina! We went out into 37B today with not much success. We started out working some ridges south of Freeman Rd. about halfway to between 79 and San Pedro river valley. Didn't come across any pig sign, but snuck up to within 80 yards of 4 Muley does. We don't have tags for deer, but it was fun sneaking up on them. From there, we tried a few washes west of San Pedro from the road going North along the rail road tracks. There may well be pigs farther in than any of the places we were looking, but we didn't see enough sign to warrant a 4 mile hike. We also figured out that a LOT of what we were thinking was pig sign, i.e. chewed up prickly pear, is likely cattle or deer sign. I wish we were hunting cattle, we saw lots and beef is yummy too.

At a loss for where we will try next week, and what tactics to try, but I think we will invest in the J-13 Javi call and go back to some places where we did see pigs and sign. Although we didn't see lots of pigs or lots of sign in 33 we at least saw some, beats today's results!

John