Mangum

Couse Whitetail in South America?

Guess he used the same distribution map you posted. :lol: -TONY

That's what I am guessing..... :lol:

Of course the genetic analysis might change all that!

Amanda

Ever since reading Dr. Geist's publications...it would be interesting if white-tailed deer genetics and mtDNA were revisited, the question is feasibility.

The constraint with Central and South American white-tailed deer is that many populations are already threatened or extinct...due to hunting practices and politics in those regions. It doesn't seem to be feasible...perhaps in Mexico this is a possibility(?). I think Costa Rica...it would be feasible...Venezuela...I am not sure either, there was some political instability...and I am not sure about Venezuela's relations with USA.

White-tailed deer are very popular game animals...and I think that collectively, we, as Americans, may take them for granted.

I think the white-tailed deer subspecies of the Northwestern and Southwestern United States are distinct. I think the Key deer is also distinct. What is ambiguous are the deer populations in the East Coast with the restocking histories.

It seems like the Southern white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus virginianus) may be a mix of several deer from Texas, Midwest, and Great Lakes...I think the Kansas white-tailed deer may be mixed between Texas, Northern, and Southern deer. I am not even sure what clearly distinguishes Dakota, Northern, Kansas, or Virginian white-tailed deer other than possibly the size. I have looked at several Outdoor Life magazines...and these deer look the same to me! I draw these animals...and still can't tell what is distinctive.

I know that Texas white-tailed deer are distinctive...Coue's deer with their large ears are distinctive. Northwest white-tailed deer are more yellowish...and distinctive in that way...

I even read somewhere that there were once several subspecies in the Southwest, but due to hunting...the Texas, Coue's, and Carmen Mountains deer are the surviving subspecies...while the rest either were hunted to extinction or absorbed/assimilated into the Texas white-tailed deer?

Heck, you'd think that with our country and most populous East Coast/Southern States...we should easily find out these things? There is ambiguity in the indigenous wolf population in East coast too! There are wolves in Algonquin Provincial Park...and now scientists don't think that there are really Eastern Timber wolves...and instead, Red Wolves? red wolf/gray wolf hybrids?, coyote/wolf/red wolf hybrids?...They can't make up their minds on this...

>>>>>>>"I even read somewhere that there were once several subspecies in the Southwest, but due to hunting...the Texas, Coue's, and Carmen Mountains deer are the surviving subspecies...while the rest either were hunted to extinction or absorbed/assimilated into the Texas white-tailed deer? ">>>>>>>>>

I don't know where you read this, but the author cannot have any credibility. Also, the Coues white-tailed deer is named after Elliott Coues. If you insist on adding an apostrophe, it should be at the end of his name.

Bill Quimby

I doubt any made it to Guyana but, the Army bases in Panama imported eastern whitetails for the soldiers and they adapted pretty well from what I hear.

On the contrary, white-tailed deer do live in Guyana.