Pigman

Hunting the Fringe...

There was a post a while ago about Hunting the Fringe in units 31, 32 and 33.

Hunting the Fringe

Has anyone had any similar experience with the mid-state units - 21, 22, 23 24's? G&F websight says something to the effect of "...brushier habitats above 3500 feet

in the unit. However, whitetail have been showing up in the past few years at elevations of about 2,500 feet in what would usually be considered as mule deer habitat. " Just curious if anyone has been seeing them in that 2500 - 3500 foot zone. I've been looking at some areas to try and get away from the weekend crowds (if that is possible), wondering if they would be worth an extra look. Thanks in advance.

John

Hunting in 24b over the past few years, lots of bigger bucks have been taken in the 2500-3000 levels. Anyway I never used to consider those areas since we never saw deer there as we drove or hiked to our normal areas. Seems I was missing some good ones! Again, there were some good posts in that original thread.

So as far as hunting the fringe goes, Try it you might like it!

Dec, Janis a good time to see a lot down low in units 21-24's

I was in 24b saturday shed hunting in a favorite old spot and saw 2 really nice whitetails. Elev. was 5000-6000 though. Put my cheap instant camera up to my 10x42's and took 5 pictures only one developed. You can see the one has a nice rack in photo the other was turned.

Didn't try to get any closer for pics. We went about our way.

I did find a rack (lion kill) decent 3x3 and 2 sheds. 1 totally chewed by critters the other is average size 3pt. I was impressed with the amount of whitetail sign we saw.

If I can ever figure out how to post pics on this site I will scan at work and post later.

Have fun,

Dan

I was trying to shoot some ducks one day in January along the Gila in 24A and saw 2 coues deer does come down and water. Elevation according to the topo map where I saw them was right at 2000 feet. I was suprised to see them that low.

Bret M.

here in Tucson, I constantly see coues deer down in the foothill neighbor hoods at about 2900' elevation. I also have seen numerous whitetails in the flats around 3 points at about 2500' elevation....

In some areas the springs are lower elevation, and in the dry years, that's where the deer will be.

mike

Units 21 and 22 both support nice pockets of coues in areas that don't look so "cousey". In both units I have seen coues in the 2000-2500 ft. range. There are definately greater concentrations of deer in the more typical coues habitat types within those units. But there's some toads down low!!!

Also coues will use riparian areas on the desert floor. An example would be the San Pedro river. I don't use a treestand, but that would probably be the way to go in a situation like that.

Pigman,

in unit 33 have harvested 2 coues with archery equipment at an elevation of 3600 to 3700 ft. This area years before use to hold good mule deer populations and would chase them all over in this area. They have recently built a housing developement and have noticed the coues deer over take where mule deer use to be. To answer your question I think there are good numbers of coues deer at these elevations and you be wise to hunt them...

My parent's live in Marana, under 3,000 ft and they have pictures of coues walking through their yard one Christmas.

I might have to try bowhunting their land :lol: