Kevin

Practicing

I've worn calluses on my hand from operating the bolt on my rifle! I have shot a couple hundred rounds in the last month and am confident in our ability (mine and the guns)! My favorite practice is shooting milk jugs filled with water. They are about the size of a bucks chest cavity and they explode when you hit them! Great fun! Obviously they don't take the place of paper for sighting in, but for practicing they are much more fun than plinking cans and the likes. If you are bored with paper, try jugs out. Make sure you cap them after filling them (so they will explode) and please pick up the plastic carcasses before you leave. I like to place them at unkown distances at various angles.

Any body else have fun methods for honing their skills?

Kevin

Hey great way to practice. Try going for Two liter bottles, I find them to be more difficult. The slim size of the bottle at long ranges makes it seem harder (like hitting a golf ball with a bat) Once you got that down the gallon will be like hitting a beach ball.

Smaller targets with impact factor are pretty good for practice.

When I got my 300, quite a few years ago, I had access to gallon Bondo cans that were empty. I filled them with water, and placed them at 100, 200, 250, 300 on flat desert land. Making sure the lid was tapped on the top of the can, when I hit one of them the lid would fly up in the air about 10 feet and there would also be a big splash from the water in the can and a distinct THUD sound! That was really neat! It made me want to practice more!

WARNING... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

I also recall as a teenager, buying a can of R12 freon for about 77 cents. Cheap enough for a cool target I thought... I Took that can out in the desert and popped it with a 22lr hollowpoint. OMG :( ... I only did it once but wow it was cool. (there goes the ozone layer) I was about 75 yards away and when my bullet hit, the can flattened out and started flying like a fizbee. It flew right back at me, and wound up stuck in the tire of my truck about 2 feet from me. When I removed it from the tire, it had an entrance hole and no exit!

I changed the now flat tire and quit for the day feeling pretty lucky!

Good Luck

Edited by az4life

Get a cheap foam archery deer target about the size of a couse and go out and place that sucker out there at the longer shooting distances I think that would be a great way to practice but a little more expensive though.

wow those milk juggs really do pop pretty good...thanks for the practice tip kevin

hope all this practice will do me some good down in 36b this november

good luck 2 every one...get a big one!

S_S