I saw a photo in the bow hunting forum of horses packing deer out (my cousins actually). I thought it was a cool photo and I found one of my own, though not as cool. I dont know how many hunters use horses but they make for great photos. Any others out there?

With his permission, 1st is his photo then mine. I gotta quit usin disposable cameras.

post-2335-1202367936.jpg

post-2335-1202704974.jpg

We did a pack trip this year for our December hunt. Hear is my mule loaded with a pack to last us ten days

post-652-1202397961_thumb.jpg

Hear is a picture of him when we got back to the truck. He has two of the heads tied on back of the pack and the packs are know filled with over 100lbs of meet.

post-652-1202398233_thumb.jpg

Hear is a picture of all three deer we got on that trip

post-652-1202398680_thumb.jpg

Hear is one of the heads tied to the back of one sadle

post-652-1202399509_thumb.jpg

Hear is some of the country we were in

post-652-1202399043_thumb.jpg

Hear is my sons deer tied over the saddle from his youth hunt this last year

post-652-1202399215_thumb.jpg

I love to hunt from a horse back, it allows you to get away from the roads and it to area's that evan a four wheeler can not go.

DCM

I have a Question for you guys.... you and your cousin..... :D

.... And I'm not trying to be Jerk.... I just have to know.... So please don't think I'm startin' trouble..... but I know that others are thinkin' what I am.... so here I go..... :unsure: :D

You guys are hunting Coues horseback... packin' way back in the hills,Right? You guys are having good success by the looks of it... and congrats! But my Question is this....... How long are you guys leaving the hide on the deer? I realize that it keeps the meat clean but are you losing meat or getting a gamie taste by leaving it on for an extended time? The reason I ask is because I don't know the answer..... I have always thought that getting the hide off was as important as gutting or field processing the meat ASAP. I hunt by foot and generally, on a long pack out, I bone out the entire deer and pack head, horns (Both horns attached :P ), cape, and meat in one trip. Since this is the Second pic that I have seen that way it made me want to ask.... I'm sure that time of the year and daytime temps play a role as well. Thanks.

CnS

.... And I'm not trying to be Jerk.... I just have to know.... So please don't think I'm startin' trouble..... but I know that others are thinkin' what I am.... so here I go..... :unsure: :D

You guys are hunting Coues horseback... packin' way back in the hills,Right? You guys are having good success by the looks of it... and congrats! But my Question is this....... How long are you guys leaving the hide on the deer? I realize that it keeps the meat clean but are you losing meat or getting a gamie taste by leaving it on for an extended time? The reason I ask is because I don't know the answer..... I have always thought that getting the hide off was as important as gutting or field processing the meat ASAP. I hunt by foot and generally, on a long pack out, I bone out the entire deer and pack head, horns (Both horns attached :P ), cape, and meat in one trip. Since this is the Second pic that I have seen that way it made me want to ask.... I'm sure that time of the year and daytime temps play a role as well. Thanks.

CnS

I cant answer for my cousin, cause I wasnt there. It does appear that he may have packed the bucks out with the hide on and I havent asked him about it. As for my situation we had a base camp from which we used the horses to get to our glassing areas. On this particular occasion we were not very far from camp. The bucks were together, so they were both dropped within minutes of each other. Both bucks were immediately gutted. We then used the horse to pack the bucks back to camp where we skinned them. My hunt was not in a remote area and the venison was awesome.

CnS

I did a gut less quartering and deboned all the meet from the coues deer with in a half hour of them being shot. The only thing packed out was the meet, cape and heads. My sons mule deer was about a half hour pack out. His deer was gutted immediately and skinned about an hour later when we got to camp. No meet was lost from any of the deer we harvested.

DCM

CnS

I did a gut less quartering and deboned all the meet from the coues deer with in a half hour of them being shot. The only thing packed out was the meet, cape and heads. My sons mule deer was about a half hour pack out. His deer was gutted immediately and skinned about an hour later when we got to camp. No meet was lost from any of the deer we harvested.

DCM

Right on! That is my favorite way to do it as well!! Thanks for sharing all of the pics! Congrats to your success and Good luck on your future Horseback hunts!!!

Haven't packed any critters out, but the mules are awesome for shed huntin'!

scan0006-1.jpg

BUT....better yet, go directly to the source and use an Elk to show you where he and his buddies have dropped their antlers! :P

zz11.jpg

innovative, very innovative. someone had a lot of free time to work up the magic on that photo

Jim, now I know why you have been so successfull. :o I assume you also have a coues you ride as well? ;) Please post the pics. Why didn't I thing of that! :rolleyes:

TJ

I'd love to have a Coues to carry me around the hills showing me where all the hidin' places are! I just haven't been able to catch one yet and I'm sure either my legs will drag the ground or I'll break his back.......probably both! :P

CnS

We left the cape on just to keep the meat clean. It was a good thing we did because the pack horse fell off a cliff and the hide helped to protect the meat. But i shot my deer and gutted it then it hung in the tree for 3 days. I didn't skin it and i didn't loose any meat. It also tasted great, no game tast at all. My buddy's deer tasted great also. The weather helped a ton also. It wasn't freezing but got very cold. Now this is also the first of january. There is no way i would leave the hide on that long with it hot that would definatly spoil the meat or make it gamie tasting. i hope that answered your question.

draggingnuts

We left the cape on just to keep the meat clean. It was a good thing we did because the pack horse fell off a cliff and the hide helped to protect the meat. But i shot my deer and gutted it then it hung in the tree for 3 days. I didn't skin it and i didn't loose any meat. It also tasted great, no game tast at all. My buddy's deer tasted great also. The weather helped a ton also. It wasn't freezing but got very cold. Now this is also the first of january. There is no way i would leave the hide on that long with it hot that would definatly spoil the meat or make it gamie tasting. i hope that answered your question.

draggingnuts

Thanks for responding..... you answered my question. I am glad that worked out for you.

I have been around some guys that do a bit of packin' and have found that heavy cloth gamebags with panniers are a very safe bet in all weather conditions, too.

Congrats, on a successful hunt.

CnS

DCM:

You gotta great set up and awesome pics. Congrats on your success. I have the opportunity (through my father) to do a back country hunt with horses but I havent taken advantage of it yet. My father hunts with horses and sometimes does back country hunts. He invites me but I have a hard time hunting an area I havent scouted or know very well. Plus I enjoy hiking by foot. Ive already failed the January archery hunt so if the 08 rifle season doesn’t pan out, I plan to do an archery trip with him in December. I know that he has great pics of some of his hunts and i will try to get him to post some.

COOSEFAN:

Very impressive work on your pic on the elk, thats some funny stuff right there.

Any others with pics to share?

Yeah Jim has plenty of pics to share but...... he is the HALL MONITOR now so he can't. :(

It's a shame too cuz he made some funny stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P