AZcountryboy520

Tagged out on my first deer! Early November hunt unit 36c

On 11/19/2018 at 5:10 AM, More D said:

Story to go along with the post?

Basically it all started Thursday afternoon. I didn't have time to scout this year but I have been in the same area the last four years. I knew the bucks were in there as I have seen them everytime I am out there. I just have never been able to connect. 

This year  it actually paid off. My dad and I hiked in 2.5 miles to my glassing point and gained over 1500ft in elevation. Within the first 3 hours I had only spotted a couple of does. I decided to change directions and look towards the south. I'd say within about 5 minutes of  changing directions  I noticed a batchelor herd or 3 to 4 bucks. I immediately noticed this nice 3x3 grazing in the middle of the open. I dialed him in at 547  yards. I decided to grab my rifle, thinking " if I wait too long, I might miss out on this opportunity". I had my cross hair perfectly aligned up and had this intense adrenaline rush  of buck fever. I missed the first shot and shot high. I got my binos back on that area and noticed the buck was standing in the same position. I got my scope back on him and decided to let another one fly. As soon as I was able to control my rifle, I looked back at the buck  and saw that he went down. It was a perfect shot placement.

My dad and I gathered our gear and headed towards my deer. It took us about an hour to get to where I shot it. We got to the spot and noticed a nice blood trail. We walked about 15 to 20 yards down from where I seen the blood and noticed the deer up in some heavy vegetation.  I immediately knew he was dead but made sure as I poked him to see if he'd move. 

It took my dad and I just a little over 3  hours to get this deer back to camp. To be able to have my dad right there with me to witness me shoot my first deer was priceless. These are the moments I will always cherish forever! Can't wait for next year to keep the memory alive. 

• Like 2