Sign in to follow this  
Bucks&Brews

Vertical deer dimensions for gap shooting?

My arrows are 29inch. I’m not sure if my anchor is high or not I don’t have any thing to compare it to. I’m more less self taught and I don’t know any other traditional shooter. I feel like I shot ok. 35-20 my gaps are on the animal from the top of the back to the low belly 

Fixed crawl is a compromise.  It makes more noise, is harder to tune and results in a loss of arrow velocity.  Also some trad shoots specify one finger touching the nock, which makes it illegal.  One solution is using stiffer arrows so they can be as long as possible to reduce or eliminate the crawl.  My trouble is coues deer are so small and pretty much featureless it was hard to pick a spot, especially since my arrow point was wider than the kill zone at 20 yards.   I can shoot elk all day at 30 yards and deer at home at 25 but I have a hard time picking a spot on a coues. The SRF sight can be seen as cheating but really it's just another sight reference like an arrow tip.  I added a sight pin in the middle too, but that's just a much finer arrow tip.  I aim and gap it the same as an arrow tip, but it doesn't cover up the target like my standard sized GT traditionals. Proof will be in 3 days thru next week if/when I have a shot opportunity.  

10 hours ago, Speedy said:

Fixed crawl is a compromise.  It makes more noise, is harder to tune and results in a loss of arrow velocity.  Also some trad shoots specify one finger touching the nock, which makes it illegal.  One solution is using stiffer arrows so they can be as long as possible to reduce or eliminate the crawl.   

Agreed. I have adjustable tiller on my bow so I can get the noise down mostly but I will lose some velocity. I don't understand how your finger has to touch the nock. I always use a double nock point so even if I shoot three under, my finger is still a hair under the nock. If I slipped my tab over the bottom nock then the it will either tear into my tab or the nock point will spin and change. Or is that small distance acceptable? Someone told me that on a range and so that ended my interest in trad shoots, at least in Arizona. Where would I go to verify that information for Arizona trad classes? 

Being a taxidermist and also wanting to know the vertical dimensions of the chest of a coues deer, I started measuring deer after they were killed in the field.  After measuring about 10 mature bucks (90-112"), I got an average of 14" from the top of back to the bottom of the chest (right behind front shoulder) 14 1/2" was the measurement on a largest bodied buck.  13 1/2" was the smallest of the deer measured.  Before I used turrets, I used these measurements to figure out "Hold Over" distances for 300-400 yds shots.  

On 1/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, triton said:

Being a taxidermist and also wanting to know the vertical dimensions of the chest of a coues deer, I started measuring deer after they were killed in the field.  After measuring about 10 mature bucks (90-112"), I got an average of 14" from the top of back to the bottom of the chest (right behind front shoulder) 14 1/2" was the measurement on a largest bodied buck.  13 1/2" was the smallest of the deer measured.  Before I used turrets, I used these measurements to figure out "Hold Over" distances for 300-400 yds shots.  

Excellent information, thanks for your input. What have you found were the dimensions on a mule deer?

I have only measured coues deer.  Don't hunt mule deer very often.  Maybe someone will get measurements after they shoot one with their bow this month. Then post them for you