Sign in to follow this  
jonscaife

bobcat hunting?

thinking about going out and trying to shoot myself a bobcat. i've never done any kind of predator hunting and was thinking about using my .22 so as to do as little damage as possible to the fur. is that enough power behind it to take it down? any thoughts or opinions would be helpfull, thanx.

I would have to say yes. I have never shot a bobcat with a 22 but I have shot coyotes and killed them no problem. On the other hand I have seen some rather large bobcats that I would think twice about shooting with a 22 unless I had a fairly close shot. Buy some good hollow point high velocity rounds and give it a try.

Guest 300ultramag.
thinking about going out and trying to shoot myself a bobcat. i've never done any kind of predator hunting and was thinking about using my .22 so as to do as little damage as possible to the fur. is that enough power behind it to take it down? any thoughts or opinions would be helpfull, thanx.

Shotgun! the BBs close up nice on the hide

First off, it aint that easy to kill a bobcat! Saying that IF you were to get a shot at one, I would want more than enough gun to knock it down so ya dont loose it. .223 or 22-250. shoot deer hunting bullets ( TSX, partition, TBBC) and youll be good.

If it's a 22Mag. I would say yes as long as you are careful and place your shots. A 22 I would not trust unless you keep your shots under 50 yards and shoot head shots. I think a 22/250 loaded right or a shotgun with copper plated BB's would be better. The shot gun will allow you to take cats out to 50-60 yards

AzTrapper