DesertBull

Fly fishing

Couple of questions for the experts

What weight rod/line do you get the most use out of here in AZ? I'm thinking a 4 or 5 weight but if I wanted to go after bass or pike once in awhile a 6 weight might be better.

I am going to Alaska this summer, can I fish it with a 5 or 6 weight? Probably trout and dolly's mostly but I'm sure the sockeyes will be available too.

Couple of questions for the experts

What weight rod/line do you get the most use out of here in AZ? I'm thinking a 4 or 5 weight but if I wanted to go after bass or poke once in awhile a 6 weight might be better.

I am going to Alaska this summer, can I fish it with a 5 or 6 weight? Probably trout and dolly's mostly but I'm sure the sockeyes will be available too.

it really depends on the waters you're fishing. i know they fish heavy rods on the kenai and other large rivers, like 8 weights, just to be able to cover the rivers, but then then the trout are nearly as big as the kings. we fished 5 weights there last year, but it was off season and were hoping to pick up some graylings and smaller trout.

in arizona, i think a 5 weight is perfect for lee's ferry and most of the lakes, though i've been eyeing some super light gear for some of the smaller streams. it's almost as much fun as hunting.

This is a tough one.... You are kind stuck...

For small streams I use a 3wt... I love it... I can cast dries and nymphs without any problem... 6 or 7 foot

For Lakes... IE bigger trout and Bass I would use a 6 wt.. It lets you toss bigger Bass Bugs and Troll with sinking tips... 10 footer

For Alaska... I used a 8wt... Those bigger fish are almost impossible to turn in the faster water so you need something with some beef... 10 footer

I used to be sponsored by Sage and I love there rods BUT Cabelas is making some really good fly rods lately... G-Loomis used to make there blanks and I think they still do.... so you can get a great rod at a great price...

So if I were you???? I would go with a 6wt... :)

J

i've always used a 4 and been realy happy with it for around here, although i usually switch to spinnng gear for bass. i never personally have had any problems with the lakes using my 4 but i dont seak trout in the lakes very much anyway. if i were you, going to alaska, even if only targeting trout, would use an 8 just to be on the safe side.

In AZ I have never had the need for anything heavier than a 5 weight. I have caught some good pike up at Achurst and have caught some decent bass out on Bartlett. Also have done alot of fishing up in the White Mountains. The nice thing about the 5 weight is that is soft enough to be used on smaller streams and strong enought to handle big fish. As far as Alaska it does depend on the size of the water you plan to fish. For instance I was fishing small streams where I worked and I was able to land several 40 pound plus kings on a 5 weight.

Thanks!

Couple more ???'s

Anyone have any experience with Redington or TFO rods? Good, bad, or otherwise?

Are large arbor reels worth the extra $$$?

Are weight forward lines the most versitle?

TFO is one of the best rods for the money!!! I would highly recomend looking at them!

As far as large arbor reels they tend to have alot better drag system, but you can get a medium arbor reel with just as good of a drag system but it will cost you. If you are planning on going to Alaska I would go ahead and put the money down on a good large arbor.

And yes weight forwards are the most versatile by far in my opinion. If you are looking for a line you can really get out there with look at the shooting head or a double taper.

Fly Rods are ALOT like bows some just feel better than others... It all depends on your casting style. I love the Sage's because they are aggressive, fast and load quickly. Some people like Scott or Redington's because they are softer... Others like Orivs rods because they see to handle the line better when you have ALOT of line out. I would recommend that you got to a fly shop and try a few out. There are alot of good rods out there and the base technology really hasn't changed that much...

Large Arbor reels are nice... they do change the balance of your setup a little bit. Do you need one? No, all the arbor size does is it allows you to take up slack on the reel faster... i.e. you have a fish on the reel and he is running to you. For the most part they are meant for big fish on big water. If you can afford one they are fine but be more concerned about having a smooth drag. That is much more important than the ability to take up slack on the reel. I have a few large arbors and I have maybe really used there ability to take up line on one trip... Stripers in Maine

Wt Forward is the way to go... The theory with the DT lines is kind of old school. In the old days you could "wear out" the tip of your fly line. The materials that were used would get scratched and nicked really easily so after time they didn't shoot very well. So when the front half of your DT line got worn out you would just reverse the line and have a fresh line.

Also, if you look at the actual taper of the TYPICAL WF next to a DT line you will notice that the WF is usually more aggressive and will allow you do shoot line better with 80+ ft of line out. Personally, I use the WF because when I am lake fishing I like to get a lot of line out there quickly and handle sinking tips MUCH better than DT lines... You might want to pickup a Dan Bailey's catalog or Kaufman Streamborn and look at the different types of lines. I was sponsored by Scientific Angler BACK IN THE DAY so I familiar with there lines, I like them and trust them.

If you guys tie flies and ever want to do a swap just tell me... I would be all up for it...

Jason

If you guys tie flies and ever want to do a swap just tell me... I would be all up for it...

count me in...

Dbull,

Don't overlook the lakes and taking your float tube. We have 'slayed' them up there in our tubes. It can be the most relaxing way to fish and a great escape from the combat fishing on the Kenai... I will be up there on July 3 for 10 days...Not sure when you are going but love to show you some quality spots...

6wt is a nice rod for Alaska, but I always bring 2 rods in case one gets bent at the cork and snaps like toothpick!

I'd be happy to send you some hand tied gems that have produced 9lb rainbows!

Good Luck & tight lines...

AzP&Y

post-898-1203473950_thumb.jpg

post-898-1203474324_thumb.jpg

We are most likely going the 1st week of July. Either Ketchikan or Wrangell. It's a combo get-away with the wife / fishing trip. 1 day on a charter, for either halibut or salmon and 2-3 days of fishing the local streams and lakes. The rest of the time will be devoted to relaxing, taking pictures, hiking, gorging on salmon, oysters, dungeness crabs and Alaskan Ale and seeing the sights.

We are most likely going the 1st week of July. Either Ketchikan or Wrangell. It's a combo get-away with the wife / fishing trip. 1 day on a charter, for either halibut or salmon and 2-3 days of fishing the local streams and lakes. The rest of the time will be devoted to relaxing, taking pictures, hiking, gorging on salmon, oysters, dungeness crabs and Alaskan Ale and seeing the sights.

Awesome! DB~!

Ours is an all guy trip with drinking and fishing and fishing and drinking and well you get the point! Love the full day charter! It's one of our best trips yet! We landed a 125 lb salmon shark (they are a kin to the great white) on our last trip out of HOMER! Our captain shot the shark twice with .38 caliber pistol off the back of the boat. He has been fishing the waters for 9 years and that was only his second salmon shark! Tasty as it gets....better than swordfish...

Enjoy it for everything it is THE LAST FRONTIER!

AzP&Y

post-898-1203477589_thumb.jpg

post-898-1203477624_thumb.jpg

post-898-1203477657_thumb.jpg

post-898-1203477716_thumb.jpg

A Friend of mine started building rods from a smaller company. I guess he was impressed with them, 'cause he ended up buying the company a few years back. The rods are a nice value. The reels are really well built and comparatively cheap. The warranty is more than fair (lifetime on defects - fair replacement price on breakage). Elkhorn Flyrod and Reel. I think some of the Sportsman's Whorehouse stores are carrying them now.

I just booked a charter with Northern Lights out of Ketchikan for the second week in July. I've got to end my Chinook curse (over a half dozen trips to Ak without landing a King).

A Friend of mine started building rods from a smaller company. I guess he was impressed with them, 'cause he ended up buying the company a few years back. The rods are a nice value. The reels are really well built and comparatively cheap. The warranty is more than fair (lifetime on defects - fair replacement price on breakage). Elkhorn Flyrod and Reel. I think some of the Sportsman's Whorehouse stores are carrying them now.

I just booked a charter with Northern Lights out of Ketchikan for the second week in July. I've got to end my Chinook curse (over a half dozen trips to Ak without landing a King).

I fished on that boat in Sept 2001. Caught (5) 10lb silvers in about 2 hours. It was a well run trip.

I fished on that boat in Sept 2001. Caught (5) 10lb silvers in about 2 hours. It was a well run trip.

That's nice to hear! Thanks! We might be a little early for silvers. But, I hope I can catch a couple of early runners. I really like how fast they are.

I haven't had time to check the Halibut limit recently. Do you know if they have decided anything? They were talking (again) about lowering the limit to a single fish...