Sign in to follow this  

invasive plants and animals

Buffel grass is bad news, Quagga are possibly worse.

The $$ they are talking about spending on these invasives is nothing compared to the damage they can do:

Buffel grass is going to burn down some houses (those big fancy ones in the foothills!) in Tucson this summer if it gets dry enough. If you burn down 100 McMansions thats a pretty fat tax payer bill, instead of spending 5-10 McMansions in prevention. Oh, and you can kiss the Sonoran desert goodbye - welcome to Africa!

Quagga muscles are friends with a little bug called Botulism - how fun! And they have a pesky habit of clogging things up.

The good news:

One option for getting rid of buffel grass - introduce feral goats into the Catalinas, ha, I can imagine how well that is going to work!

Fish like small mouth bass and perch apparently eat quagga muscles after living together for 10 years or so.

Sad thing about buffel grass is that its taken them to long to do something about it and I believe that its here to stay. The only thing we can hope for is to keep it from spreading. I hope I'm wrong though

Buffel grass is bad news, Quagga are possibly worse.

The $$ they are talking about spending on these invasives is nothing compared to the damage they can do:

Buffel grass is going to burn down some houses (those big fancy ones in the foothills!) in Tucson this summer if it gets dry enough. If you burn down 100 McMansions thats a pretty fat tax payer bill, instead of spending 5-10 McMansions in prevention. Oh, and you can kiss the Sonoran desert goodbye - welcome to Africa!

Quagga muscles are friends with a little bug called Botulism - how fun! And they have a pesky habit of clogging things up.

The good news:

One option for getting rid of buffel grass - introduce feral goats into the Catalinas, ha, I can imagine how well that is going to work!

Fish like small mouth bass and perch apparently eat quagga muscles after living together for 10 years or so.

There goes any sheep that might be left in there! <_<

Its just an idea, I'm sure the sheep would be an issue.. IMO they are gone :( ... Unless somebody has heard different...

Its just an idea, I'm sure the sheep would be an issue.. IMO they are gone :( ... Unless somebody has heard different...

The south slope of the Catalinas used to have a good number of feral goats in the 1950s. The last of them eventually was shot and killed, but they didn't seem to have a negative effect on the sheep. The bighorn population didn't start declining until nearly every rock in Pima Canyon had a path walker sitting on it.

Bill Quimby

The south slope of the Catalinas used to have a good number of feral goats in the 1950s. The last of them eventually was shot and killed, but they didn't seem to have a negative effect on the sheep. The bighorn population didn't start declining until nearly every rock in Pima Canyon had a path walker sitting on it.

Bill Quimby

I'd be down for some goat hunting,

I'd bet that La Reserve didn't do much to help the sheep either - not to mention the new development being put in on East Pusch Ridge Wilderness Dr (they have the audacity to name it that). IMO, sheep are gone, sheep are not coming back - unless they are the canadensis variety

post-1107-1205900992_thumb.jpg

Wasn't it demestic goats that got loose that gave all the sheep the realy bad pink-eye a few years back?

You may be thinking about the fiasco in the Silverbell/Ragged Tops way west of there a couple of years ago. As far as I know, the feral goats in the Catalinas didn't hurt the sheep herd. The goats apparently were from about North Campbell Avenue past Sabino Canyon to Reddington Pass; the sheep were on Pusch Ridge, in Romero Canyon and along the southwestern slope of the mountain.

Bill Quimby

With the weather we've had this year so far it will all burn. We just need them to re-seed properly.

Buckhorn

last i heard there was a limit and a season on the asian doves. glad someone got some sense about it. they need to go on an all out assault on the things before they replace the whitewings and mournings. the grass is going to be a hard one to tackle. be about like these stinkin' salt cedars and tumbelweeds that we got in the late 1800's. look at what they have done. non native species of any kind are a real concern that need to be dealt with swiftly when their presence is noticed. my favorite is the crawdad. they want us to kill em all, but you have to have a fishing license to take em and last i knew there were legal and illegal ways to do it. i about whupped a game warden and chunked him in the crick at black river one day because he was going to give me a ticket because me and my kids were giggin' crawdads. he said we could only catch em on a line. oh well. what are the rules now? i know i think a little different than most. as far as i'm concerned, these stinkin' rocky mountain sheep oughta be eliminated too. especially in the desert. along with the desert elk herds. things change. they always do, but there is no sense in helpin' out a bad situation. Lark.

Yep as of Sept there are no seasons or limits on the asiatic doves so go get'em. As for crawdads, yes you do need a fishing lic. but you can get them pretty much any way you like other than that.

Packer

"non native species of any kind are a real concern that need to be dealt with swiftly when their presence is noticed."

How about:

Largemouth bass?

Smallmouth bass?

Striped bass?

White bass?

Crappies?

Rainbow trout?

Brown trout?

Brook trout?

Northern pike?

Ringneck pheasant?

Chukar?

Rocky Mountain bighorn?

Rocky Mountain elk?

Bill Quimby

"non native species of any kind are a real concern that need to be dealt with swiftly when their presence is noticed."

How about:

Largemouth bass?

Smallmouth bass?

Striped bass?

White bass?

Crappies?

Rainbow trout?

Brown trout?

Brook trout?

Northern pike?

Ringneck pheasant?

Chukar?

Rocky Mountain bighorn?

Rocky Mountain elk?

Bill Quimby

Bah HaHaHaHa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Uh, those don't count Mr. Quimby..... :rolleyes: :lol: