Sign in to follow this  
willie

custom build

i have a rem 600 action i want to convert into a light weight rifle in the caliber of 300 wsm or 270 wsm. i want to skelitonize the bolt and reciever to maxumize weight reduction but am afraid to weaken the reciever to much. i guess i am just worried abougt such a heavy recoiling catridge in such a light gun first being safe and second being accurate. i realize of course that the recoil on my sholder will be significantly increased by such a design of a rifle but am willing to deal with that. does any one have any experience they are willing to share with me before i make a mistake with this little project.

they made the 600 in what is called a .350 rem mag. it has more recoil than the cartridges you listed. i think the action will take about anything. but i wouldn't remove any metal from any part of it that holds pressure. put a good brake on it and the recoil shouldn't be too bad. Lark.

thanks for the info. i was considering removeing metal from the bolt race ways i would be cutting windows in it if you will. staying clear of the ariea where the bolt locks up of course and i was just worried that it would increase action flex. again i realize the 600 is one of the lightest actions out there any way and its not like i would be removeing tons of materiel any way and not obtaining that much weight loss any way just a thought

Have ya talked to Timmy? He has build some pretty dang light rifles, dunno what he has done on a 600 action but be worth a call, Im pretty sure he could give ya some guidance on it.

yea i talked to him but it was about an octagon reciever but not skelitonizeing it good idea thanks i will have to call him up again. looks like you are in for when he brings down dogs to chase lions he was talking to me about that sounds fun. good luck

If it happens it sounds like a good time, i know he is comin down for the elk hunt and the quest for a Coati...continued, for two weeks, end of nov and beginnin of december so i dont know if thats gonna effect the dogs idea. Guess we'll find out.