jamaro

Rancher Kills 39 Antelope

It says he can "kill or take" the animal, but obviously there should be some legal method or definition for killing or taking? Maybe there isn't or its hidden somewhere else? I assume you can't hunt deer in NM with a shotgun. If I'm right, and he can't legally hunt them with a shotgun, then he shouldn't be allowed to "take" them with one either. Just my .02

It says he can "kill or take" the animal, but obviously there should be some legal method or definition for killing or taking? Maybe there isn't or its hidden somewhere else? I assume you can't hunt deer in NM with a shotgun. If I'm right, and he can't legally hunt them with a shotgun, then he shouldn't be allowed to "take" them with one either. Just my .02

If that intent existed, it would likely state such in the law, as in "according to the legal methods..." etc.

And although it has no bearing on this case since it doesn't relate to legal HUNTING methods but to the taking of animals under a depredation statute, anyone can legally shoot deer, elk or antelope in NM with a shotgun during a regular hunting season as described in:

Legal Sporting Arm Types

Any Legal Sporting Arm

Centerfire rifle or handgun; shotgun no smaller than 28 gauge,

firing a single slug; any bow and arrows; any muzzleloading rifle.

Crossbows may be used only by Certified Mobility-Impaired

Hunters, see page 15.

The same is true with shotguns for all big game in AZ, BTW. -TONY

Reports are coming out that he used an ATV to chase them down and shoot them...

If you want you can send a fax to the gov by going to this website..

Fax Website

Jason

Thanks for the link and information. This is really easy and therefore quite helpful for those of us that want to do something about this situation!!