Sign in to follow this  
huntswnm

VERY important info on NM 2008 Turkey season..PLEASE read!!!

Everyone, I don't know why this information was not publicised by the NM G & F!

I guess it goes to show we need to read the proclomations word for word EVERY year, not assuming nothing has been changed.

Maybe others know about this, but it is the first time it has been brought to my attention!

NM has apparantly designated one weekend, after the close of the regular season, as a YOUTH ONLY hunt that can take place in any open unit.

Look for yourself, right off of page 46 (PDF version) of the proclomation: Take note of the first astrik at the bottom

Open Areas For OTC License Hunts

Spring Season-April 15-May 10*

Units 4 (except Sargent, Humphries, and Rio Chama wildlife areas),

5, 6, 6B**, 7, 9 (including Water Canyon WMA but not Marquez

WMA), 10, 12-14 (bows only in Sandia Ranger District), 15-18, 20

(except Doña Ana County), 21 (except Doña Ana County), 22-24,

29, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40-49, 51-54 (including Colin Neblett/south), 55

(including Colin Neblett/north and Barker but not Urraca WMA or

Valle Vidal/Greenwood areas), 56, 57 (bow only in Sugarite Canyon

State Park), and 58.

*A Youth Only hunt is May 17-18 in any of the above open areas.

**Valles Caldera National Preserve-Contact the VCNP directly for

more information about this hunt. Bag limit is one bearded turkey

We need to spread this around. I have been a big advocate of NM adopting a Youth Only turkey "weekend" hunt for a couple of years and apparantly they decided to implement one this year, with minimal exposure?

Please pass this along, hopefully there will be some kids out there that can take advantage of this opportunity.

We as adults also should jump on the opportunity to take a kid out hunting, especially during a time that is reserved for them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jeff

Jeff,

This started last year. It was in the regs last year as well. Wake up and smell the coffee man :lol:

Kevin

Well Kevin,

If you knew this last year....thanks a lot for helping get the word out.

I am sure there are many kids out there who didn't get to take advantage of this opportunity becuase no one is willing to spread the word.

I spoke with the turkey biologist from the game and fish and was told that they are not advertising the youth hunt and are relying on the hunters of the state to pass it along. He said that is how the youth hunt is going to have to be advertised.

Forgive me if I think I am doing the right thing by getting this some publicity.

YOU are the FIRST person I have heard that has known anything about this

Jeff

I spoke with the turkey biologist from the game and fish and was told that they are not advertising the youth hunt and are relying on the hunters of the state to pass it along. He said that is how the youth hunt is going to have to be advertised.

Forgive me if I think I am doing the right thing by getting this some publicity.

YOU are the FIRST person I have heard that has known anything about this

Jeff

That just blows me away that the NMgf wouldn't want to advertise the youth hunt since it is their future generation that is so important to their organization? :o I don't live in NM but I would like to thank you Jeff for wanting to get the news out even if it is a year later. It's never to late to help out the kids. :)

TJ

They didn't tell me that they didn't want it advertised. What they said was that it came up in the last ruling change and just "slipped through the cracks"??? But come on, I might be OK with it "slipping" through last years hunt, but this is a FULL year later and apparantly the second time this hunt has been offered! That to me is just ridiculous that there has been nothing said about it.

Just to let you all know, they are considering extending the season begining next year to go through May 30, adding about 20 days onto the hunt. They said they are wanting to allow more turkey hunting opportunities.

Jeff

Easy there Jeff--before you get your panties in a ruffle you ought to know that I taught 7 hunter education classes last year and 3 so far this year to over 300 students (not including their siblings and friends that they may have passed the info on to). I teach a section on turkey hunting safety and include the information on the youth only weekend not to mention promote turkey hunting as one of the only animals you can hunt without being lucky in the draw. So before you condem me for not posting the info on a COUES WHITETAIL web site you might consider there are other ways to promote youth hunting!

As far as G&F not promoting this hunt: What other hunts are promoted? Like I said, the info was in the regulation book last year, the same as it is this year. It's not your fault or mine that parents or the kids themselves didn't read up on the particulars of the hunt. To me, it is the hunter's responsibility to read the regulations to know the legal bag limit, open areas, means of take, etc. If your or anyone else had taken the time to read through the one page turkey regulations you might have known about this opportunity sooner.

Get off your high horse as to being the only one publicizing this info. It is on the Game and Fish website in the turkey regs and over 120,000 copies of the paper regulations that each hunter should read and have a copy of. Don't blame Game and Fish for you and others not reading their publications.

Kevin

Kevin,

I am sorry for the way that I came across in my post. After re-reading it I know see that the way I wrote did sound out of line. I apologize.

I don't question your involvement in hunter's safety classes, or how you may pass information along. You obviously do more than I.

I understand that it is not the G & F responsibility to make sure that hunters know the bag limits, open areas, etc. Obviously I did not do a good job this year or last in reading every word of the one page of turkey hunting information.

As a member of the NWTF, I have spent some time with members of the G & F on turkey projects and studies, as well as a weekend last year with the turkey biologist for the G & F counting Goulds turkeys in unit 27. I just find it a little frustrating that this was never mentioned, over the course of two years, especially when kids are the ones missing out.

I understand the G & F doesn't promote hunts, but when youth hunts for deer, elk, antelope, etc are "created" they are atleast highlighted in bold indicating that it is a special youth opportunity. Why don't youth turkey hunters deserve the same designation in the proclomation, rather than just a side note with an asterik?

Again, I apologize if I came across in the wrong way.

Jeff