We got to talk to my Boy tonight and they are fighting a brand new fire (3 starts) on a mountain called Pillar Peak(??) in Cochise Co. I have no idea where that is but if anyone can tell me where that is, I'd apreciate it. They believe it to be started by Illegals and they are not allowed to fight it at night or sleep out to do safty issues...meaning all the drug runners. <_< :angry: I guess the fire is in a Miserable place and they may get a chopper ride in tomorrow to save them the long and brutal hike in there to the top.... :blink:

I'd apreciate any info you all might have down that way.....

Thanks,

CnS

Gino,

Here are two really good websites that you can look up new fires on. There are a few others that are good but when my computer crashed I lost them; I'll call around and get them for you in the next couple of days.

http://www.nifc.gov/nicc/index.htm

http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/information/information.htm

Buckhorn

let it burn

200 years of fire suppression has turned the western states into a tinderbox.

Amazing!! My Boy is fighting a fire that does not yet exist!!!! :lol: :lol:

Can anyone tell me where or what unit Pillar Peak(??) in Cochise Co. is????

Well I'll keep watching.... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

CnS

I can't find Pillar but i can find Pelita which is just north east of Douglas in Cochise county. I have the National Geographic Program and it has not Pillar Peak in the files. This mountain range looks to be one of the only ranges that is around Douglas.

He also could be thinking that this is the Pillar Peak--http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=5581956

This one would be a beatch to fight because it is in the a ways with a lot of vertical climbs--very dangerous to fight too as the fire will want to move fast up the steep mountain feeding on the fuel and O2.

One would have to wonder why an illegal would be near a place that is basically inaccessable without a helicopter, huh? Seems climbing mountains would be a waste of energy to attain the end result. :huh: -TONY

One would have to wonder why an illegal would be near a place that is basically inaccessable without a helicopter, huh? Seems climbing mountains would be a waste of energy to attain the end result. :huh: -TONY

Only if you do not want to be seen or caught on the easier flats with your load of drugs.

I can't find Pillar but i can find Pelita which is just north east of Douglas in Cochise county. I have the National Geographic Program and it has not Pillar Peak in the files. This mountain range looks to be one of the only ranges that is around Douglas.

He also could be thinking that this is the Pillar Peak--http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=5581956

This one would be a beatch to fight because it is in the a ways with a lot of vertical climbs--very dangerous to fight too as the fire will want to move fast up the steep mountain feeding on the fuel and O2.

Thanks...... He said that the mountain is like the Rim x3 or x4! :blink: :blink: I have seen him run up the face of the Rim and down it.... He was impressed with how big that Mountain is and it must real close to the border. He is just glad to be on a fire... regardless of where it is. ;)

CnS

Only if you do not want to be seen or caught on the easier flats with your load of drugs.

That seems to make even less sense. Climbng mountains with heavy packs is even less fun. :blink: -TONY

That seems to make even less sense. Climbng mountains with heavy packs is even less fun. :blink: -TONY

I guess when you have a high powered assault rifle pointing at your back you will do anything that is asked of you ;)

Mountains have Springs.

Springs provide water for cultivation.

Aaah, now we're getting somewhere. That does make perfect sense; baffle of 'em with brilliance. Instead of trying to smuggle drugs through the most monitored and patrolled area of the country, just create a farm on top of a mountain in the same area and double the chances of detection. After all since we can't find it on a map, it sure as heck won't be found by the border patrol or narcs. -TONY