Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

My first longbow build

I was talking with a group on another spot on this website, and I had a suggestion to start a thread on this.  I am working to build a couple of longbows with my boys during this lockdown.  I am a total hack here, learning as I go.  No one has ever accused me of being wordy, but hope you enjoy it. 

All suggestions welcome- especially how to fix upsidedown photos.  Drives me nuts.

Generally, we were inspired by this youtube posting: 

I have attached an excel spreadsheet I built that details out the dimensions on the bow.  Again, newbie on this, but I think it is right.  Feel free to ask questions, but this spreadsheet does all the calcs for you automatically.  The link to the spreadsheet is at the very bottom of this post.

We started out by planning the dimensions of the bow (see upside down pic below).  My guys still have a lot of growing to do, but to my surprise, their bows have to be pretty tall- 63 and 57 inches- see below.

IMG_4566.thumb.jpg.60d63402a5c18452ce257f7836396912.jpg

bow_size.thumb.jpg.db4e6d52e3dc7be89938f95db245e6cf.jpg

I found their draw lengths by this method:

Fist to Mouth Measurement

Unlike the first two full draw measurement methods described above, the fist to mouth measurement does not require any division. All you have to do is to have someone make one simple measurement. Position yourself so you are standing in front of a wall at about arm’s length away. For this measuring tactic, you are going to pretend you are holding a bow in the air. With one arm outstretched and formed into a fist (as if you are holding a bow in the air in front of you), rest your fist against the wall. Keeping your arm in position, take the other arm and draw back your hand to your cheek and mouth where your hand would be when in full draw. Remain in this imagined full draw position and consider your posture as you do so. Have someone measure from your mouth to your fist that is up against the wall to get your full draw measurements.

Next, I wanted to keep this on the cheap but also use a good wood.  We settled on using maple.  Buying one 10' stick at home depot for $22.  Backup was going to be poplar.

20442837_woodtypes.thumb.jpg.438ef2d121a7998f3517c908bba4f1dd.jpg

We then cut the maple pieces to size and added drywall tape impregnated with wood glue for a fiberglass support.  More purchases at Home Depot.  I think we spent another $15 on the glue and the drywall tape.

IMG_4569.thumb.jpg.aeb0effb5db32192677312a1a4d818e6.jpg

We let the glue dry for 24 hours.  Using a chop saw, a box cutter, and a poorly made jigsaw, we cleaned put he bows into general shape.

IMG_4580.jpg.08b091a90f336f0e1f5e63fc01314c89.jpg

We then started working on the tillering tree.  I used this post on youtube to make it.

IMG_4572.thumb.jpg.cc8915d9f5dfb6cb2bb0365218330ef9.jpg

We are trying to make this as DIY as possible, so I went over to Four Peaks Archey in Mesa for some B 50 bow string to make our own bows.  He's the most old school archery guy out there, and apparently the company  who makes this string when out of business.  He doesn't have a website, but here is a FB post.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Four-Peaks-Archery/170201606327001

It was surprisingly hard to find the string- I called 3-4 places before I remembered about Four Peaks Archery.  Here is what I bought:

IMG_4581.jpg.e2f9c54b64b1635501c5677f390cf71e.jpg

I'll be following this post on youtube for the actual making of the string:

Next steps:  we will be doing some floor tillering to get the bow thin enough to put on the tillering tree for proper work.  For that, I need to source a draw knife.  Working on that.

Bow Diagam and Calculation.xlsx

• Like 10

I have an oak board bow I started working on i still need to finish. Was thinking about doing a backing similar to yours. Interested to see how yours finish out

• Like 1