reyt85

New Mexico UNIT 27 Mule Deer... HELP Please

i was blessed to be able to draw unit 27 for my first ever mule deer hunt.. i have been searching high and low for info or videos that show the land and that give details on this unit.

unfortunatley i havent had much luck..

can anybody help? maybe give me an idea of locations or deer and what i can expect to see?

thank you in advace.

Rey Torres

All flat land around the base of the MTN range in the unit has mule deer. Private property is tricky but there is plenty of huntable deer. Focus on all of the flat mesquite draws that leave the mtn range headed into the valley on the east side of the range. It's an over rated unit in my opinion unless one has access to private land. 

• Thanks 1

@creed_az_88 thanks for the info... that’s great info!! I’m trying to get as much info as possible.. 

what kind of deer did you see? I read that there are some possibilities of a giant but have to hunt the private public land borders? 

Did you hike in and set up camp or camped from trail head?

19 minutes ago, reyt85 said:

@creed_az_88 thanks for the info... that’s great info!! I’m trying to get as much info as possible.. 

what kind of deer did you see? I read that there are some possibilities of a giant but have to hunt the private public land borders? 

Did you hike in and set up camp or camped from trail head?

I didn't hunt mule deer. I hunted whitetail. I saw multiple 130-140" type deer. Most of the deer that I saw were huntable huntable by day hunting. I didn't see anything at all that intrigued me enough to want to backpack hunt it if I had the mule deer tag. There were multiple camps with mule deer hanging from Geronimo trail to cloverdale. I would say the public stuff gets hunted pretty hard. Most of the really good mule deer turf that I saw was locked up pretty tight and posted heavily.  You shouldn't have a problem filling your tag. But finding a big old deer might be a different story. I could be wrong. 

15 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

I didn't hunt mule deer. I hunted whitetail. I saw multiple 130-140" type deer. Most of the deer that I saw were huntable huntable by day hunting. I didn't see anything at all that intrigued me enough to want to backpack hunt it if I had the mule deer tag. There were multiple camps with mule deer hanging from Geronimo trail to cloverdale. I would say the public stuff gets hunted pretty hard. Most of the really good mule deer turf that I saw was locked up pretty tight and posted heavily.  You shouldn't have a problem filling your tag. But finding a big old deer might be a different story. I could be wrong. 

For sure I will be keeping you posted of how it goes? 

Did you see any black bears? I am thinking about getting tag just Incase..

19 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

Wish I could come in clutch in all the good situations. 

This is better than anything I have found.. lol