I just recently attempted to cold blue an older winchester 1200 as the original blue was patchy and pitted (inherited from grandpa in southeast texas). I used the birchwood perma blue kit. Removed the old blue, sanded out pits then sanded to almost mirror finish with finer and finer sand paper. Degreased with provided degreaser and applied bluing paste as instructed. I probably did 10 coats per part.  Oiled after finished and let sit. Today I re assembled and when I run my hand or paper towel down the barrel the blue seems to be rubbing off. What might I have done wrong in the process that the bluing wouldnt have adhered/oxidized correctly?

I am a gunsmith and do quite a bit of hot bluing.  I am not a fan of cold blue, but there are some things you might have done in error.  You have to remember that bluing is a controlled rusting of the metal.  If you used any type of oil labeled rust prohibiting or rust removing, it will remove bluing.  When I hot blue I use a water displacing oil immediately after the bluing process to stop the process, remove the water, and prevent rust.  I would use an oil that is not labeled as rust removing or rust preventing on a soft cloth and apply coats until either the bluing stops coming off, or comes off completely.  It is possible that you are removing a surface layer and there is a good finish under it.  Prior to doing that, however, I would call Birchwood Casey and ask them what is going on.  If if happened to you it probably happened to somebody else, and they might have an answer for you.

• Like 1

With cold blue you need to use steel wool to polish between coats. If you did 10 coats then polished, you’ll be rubbing off coats. Hot blue salt tank is the way to go but timely and hard to find people good at it.

Before and after on the stock I did with linseed oil and mineral spirits; not perfect but way better IMO. will post picture of barrel after Cold blueing attempt. The last picture is a 12 gauge 870 stock I fitted and re finished for the 20 ga 870 alongside the winchester

FDE73456-39E1-4C1B-A59D-33B09A86E3DE.jpeg

87F9FEC7-3856-4666-A98C-2A45E3BFA4DF.jpeg

D8A40A5B-352B-42A4-9D94-B18B601AEEBF.jpeg

6EA8117B-94D8-4DA2-A132-914DEF3D63BA.jpeg

8EEA49ED-A6F5-4351-8EEC-FEB8177BE285.jpeg

F435A239-3BE3-45C8-8D3B-FB25F19B81E8.jpeg

561A1AAC-6EBD-40A1-9DD4-BF4DDA64E1F5.jpeg

• Like 1

Another thing I have noticed is the smell of the barrel now; it is a very potent smell and is pretty annoying. I have tried wiping with acetone and re oiling but the smell persist. Anybody know what the smell could be or how to remove? 

I am now considering just having it cerakoted, kinda sucks because it would ruin the traditional style of the gun.