Outdoor Writer

AGFD - Countdown to Dove Season

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

July 30, 2020   

Womens_Learn_to_Hunt_Group.JPG

AZGFD's countdown to dove season continues
Check out a new video each week leading up to Sept. 1 opener

PHOENIX — As we continue to hunker down at home, we’re constantly scrolling through our mobile devices, looking for anything that might be entertaining to watch, right?

Well, if you’re a dove hunter who’s counting down the days (34) until the Sept. 1 opener, the Arizona Game and Fish Department will be rolling out a new video each week that is sure to whet your wing-shooting appetite, from where to hunt, to how to turn those birds into tasty table fare.     

Just keep checking your email each week, and enjoy what our professionals in the audio-visual department have produced about hunting doves, Arizona-style.   
This week: Women's "Learn to Hunt" Group

And, for those who might have missed it . . . 

1 hour ago, Hunterjohnny said:

It is getting harder to find spots every year, I would like to go to Yuma once just to see what it's like.

I bet it is. I don't eat doves so I haven't hunted them for probably 30 years now -- about the time since my grandad died. He loved to eat them. Thus we went hunting quite a bit. In the 1960s, my parents and my granddad lived next to Alhambra HS at 39th Ave.& Camelback. Back then Camelback ended up as a dirt road before reaching Luke AFB. It took about 15 minutes to get there, and the hunting was excellent with both food sources and resting spots for the birds. We could hunt and watch the jets taking off. In fact, we witnessed a flameout once where the pilot bailed out right after take-off. The plane crashed in a huge fireball just south of Van Buren that we could see from where we were.  The paper ran an article the next day saying the pilot suffered a broken leg when he landed because he ejected so close to the ground.

If I wanted to hunt doves now, I don't have a clue as to where to go other than one of the AGFD wildlife areas such as Arlington. I bet they get hammered, though.

• Like 1

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

Aug. 13, 2020   

Dove_Season_Opener_in_60_Seconds_-_2.JPG

AZGFD's countdown to dove season continues
Check out a new video each week leading up to Sept. 1 opener

PHOENIX — As we continue to hunker down at home, we’re constantly scrolling through our mobile devices, looking for anything that might be entertaining to watch, right?

Well, if you’re a dove hunter who’s counting down the days (19) until the Sept. 1 opener, the Arizona Game and Fish Department will be rolling out a new video each week that is sure to whet your wing-shooting appetite, from where to hunt, to how to turn those birds into tasty table fare.     

Just keep checking your email each week, and enjoy what our professionals in the audio-visual department have produced about hunting doves, Arizona-style.

And, for those who might have missed it . . .