Sign in to follow this  
Arizonabowhunter

Snort weez

Has anybody here in Arizona heard the coues whitetail do a snort weez?? I just came back from Illinois and had no luck, just got to pull my bow back twice but no shot was available they put a minimum on how big of a buck was to be shot (8-point and wider than its ears),if you shot one less than the minimum you would be fined. Reason why I am asking on the fourth day of my hunt I had a small 8 point buck and a doe bed down by me (I'm sitting in a treestand) the buck got up and did 2 snorts and then a wheez sounds something like this wffff ,wffff, weeez.he then started to walk by my stand at 8 yards and did the snort weeez again only this time his ears layed back and hair on his back stood up as he proceeded to walk I heard some leaves crumpling behind me, I contemplated on what to do I was thinking to myself this little buck is not running off and then guessed that this deer that is behind is even smaller than he is. I turned around and guessed right he was a small spike they butted heads for a little while and then the spike ran off. Later that night I talked to my guide on this and he said its an aggressive behavior to let another buck know that he has a doe and not to bother. Just was wondering if any of you coues deer hunters have ever encountered this, its pretty amazing to see a deer do this especially at 8 to 10 yards, front row seat???

I hear it all the time. I like the sound it always gets the blood pumping good. And yes it does mean are busted in most cases.

Has anybody here in Arizona heard the coues whitetail do a snort weez?? I just came back from Illinois and had no luck, just got to pull my bow back twice but no shot was available they put a minimum on how big of a buck was to be shot (8-point and wider than its ears),if you shot one less than the minimum you would be fined. Reason why I am asking on the fourth day of my hunt I had a small 8 point buck and a doe bed down by me (I'm sitting in a treestand) the buck got up and did 2 snorts and then a wheez sounds something like this wffff ,wffff, weeez.he then started to walk by my stand at 8 yards and did the snort weeez again only this time his ears layed back and hair on his back stood up as he proceeded to walk I heard some leaves crumpling behind me, I contemplated on what to do I was thinking to myself this little buck is not running off and then guessed that this deer that is behind is even smaller than he is. I turned around and guessed right he was a small spike they butted heads for a little while and then the spike ran off. Later that night I talked to my guide on this and he said its an aggressive behavior to let another buck know that he has a doe and not to bother. Just was wondering if any of you coues deer hunters have ever encountered this, its pretty amazing to see a deer do this especially at 8 to 10 yards, front row seat???

I also had the chance to hunt Illinois this year. It was the first real Eastern whitetail hunt for me! I saw the snort weez used by a hunter on a video, while I was in camp so I had the oppurtunity to ask some real experts about it (Myles Keller and Roger Raglin). It is totally different than a the alarmed sound that a deer makes when the "blow", it is a territorial and dominance vocalization bucks will make during the pre rut and rut. I would love to try it here but I cannot honestly say that I have ever heard a coues deer make the sound.

muley62,

where in Illinois did you hunt?? I hunted in Pikes County over near a town called Barry. I saw lots of deer but was a little disappointed that I did not tag out. Can not wait till our December hunt starts I am looking forward to it.

Every time I climb a steep hill I snort and wheeze.

Ain't called in nothin yet!

Mike

Mike

I hunted in Pike County as well, with Rodhouse Rut and Strut. I had a great time, it was a hunt I won through Muzzy so there were alot of big name folks there. We stayed up and laughed until midnight everynight and got up at 4:00 to go hunting. I did not kill a buck but saw two deer over 130", just couldn't get a shot for one reason or another. It was my first whitetail hunt and I garuntee you that I will be in a treestand somewhere next year.

Chris Denham