Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Origins of Catch & Release Tournaments

I had posted this in my ad for a clock made by Al Ellis in the Classified section, but I thought it might be of interest to those who don't read that section. The following is an exerpt from a BASSFAN article about how Ray Scott decided to turn B.AS.S. into a C&R organization. 

Scott_Ray_0312_lookbasstank_370_RSO.jpg

A photo taken at the first B.A.S.S. catch and release tournament in 1972
shows Ray Scott face-to-face with a largemouth bass held in a special
holding tank developed to promote "don't kill your catch" bass fishing.

In the summer of 1971 I was invited to speak to the Outdoor Writers Association of America at a function in Pensacola, Fla. In the group was a fly-tier named Al Ellis from Phoenix, Ariz. who listened to my remarks on the conservation efforts by B.A.S.S. to "Peg Polluters" and clean up our waters.

Ellis, as a member of the Federation of Fly Fishermen, invited me to the FFF's Colorado conclave to serve as master of ceremonies. Truthfully, I didn't know a tippet from third base, but I agreed to attend. Not being a fly-fishing expert, I made like a Don Rickles of bassin' and poked fun at the fly-fishing crowd. Their fancy clothes. The little fluffs of sheep skin on their many-pocketed vests. The full-length rubber booties.

These were serious fly fishermen. Names like Lefty Kreh, Jack Hemingway, Gardner Grant, Leon Chandler and other legends of the long-rod sport. The sum of my experience with a fly rod was throwing poppin' bugs for a few largemouth bass and stump-knockin' bluegill. So it was with curious interest that I watched the six fly casters work along a small stream on a field trip outing.

Everybody was dressed in their funny garb and casting about 20 yards apart along the tiny stream. Then downstream a report sounded -- "Fish on!" -- and everyone stopped casting to watch the action.

The trout was no more than 12-inches long, but you wouldn't believe the excitement. From somewhere the guy produced a net. He dipped the fish, pulled a little tool from the vest, carefully unhooked the trout, and very, very gently released it.

Let me tell you: All those fly fishermen went into orbit. They were cheering and high-fiving each other, all over the release of a puny little trout.

The next day on the flight home, I let my brain whirl. If those fly guys can get so turned on by releasing a piddlin' little trout, how would a bunch of hairy-legged bass fishermen act over letting go a 5-pound largemouth? But making it happen was another question.

• Like 1

Interesting read...thanks for sharing as always. 

I don’t know how true it is but one of the random topics on a recent episode of Meateater podcast mentioned that in some European countries (Germany I think was mentioned) fishermen are issued tags and it’s unlawful to release fish. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bigorange said:

In a recent episode of Meateater podcast mentioned that in some European countries (Germany I think was mentioned) fishermen are issued tags and it’s unlawful to release fish. 

Yup. 

From Catch and Release on Wikimedia:

In the United States, catch and release was first introduced as a management tool in the state of Michigan in 1952 as an effort to reduce the cost of stocking hatchery-raised trout. Anglers fishing for fun rather than for food accepted the idea of releasing the fish while fishing in so-called "no-kill" zones. Conservationists have advocated catch and release as a way to ensure sustainability and to avoid overfishing of fish stocks. Lee Wulff, a New York-based fly angler, author and film maker, promoted catch and release as early as 1936 with the phrase "Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once." Don Martinez a West Yellowstone, Montana fly shop owner promoted catch and release in his 1930–40s newsletters sent to Eastern anglers.

In Switzerland and Germany, catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.[5] In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season.

• Like 1