Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Last night's dinner....Generosidad del Mar

Not quite as wild as some, but it was tasty.....

salsademer.thumb.JPG.8b5d77fd7eef47dbc1da9e3b7f64c318.JPG

The recipe for this is my own creation. I call it "Generosidad del mar" in Spanish, aka Bounty of the Sea .

The sauce is a 2-1 mixture of regular Hunts tomato sauce to El Patio's hot salsa. If you like hunks of tomato, use one sauce and one can of stewed tomatoes to one El Patio. Gear all the rest of the ingredients to the amount of sauce used, ie. 3 cans, 6 cans, etc. The following was for 3 of the small 8 oz. cans of sauce.

Start by sauteeing cloves (at least 3) of garlic and shallots (at least two med.) that have been chopped fine. After the garlic/onion mix browns, I add the sauces (rinse cans with water and add that too), some red wine, finely chopped fresh parsely, dried oregano, thyme, course black pepper, a dash of sea salt, some sugar, a bit of Old Bay seasoning and two small finely minced hot chilies. DO NOT ADD the chillies unless you like REAL spicy hot because the El Patio already has a kick to it. Bring to a slow boil and then let it simmer for about a 1/2 hr.

While the sauce simmers, I use a steamer to cook the fresh mussels & Little Neck clams. In a seprate small frying pan, I add some olive oil and LIGHTLY pre-fry shrimp, scallops and calamari pieces, doing each by itself since each requires different cooking times. These are then tossed into a bowl together until the sauce is done and then added to simmer for abour 5 mins. only. Too long and the shrimp & calamari will get tough. At the same time, cook up an amount of angel hair pasta to suit your need.

Take one side of the shells off the clams and mussels, arrange on plate around the pasta and add a bit of the piping hot sauce to each one. Or you can completely 'deshell' the clams and mussels and add to the sauce when you add the other morsels. I don't do it that way because my bride doesn't like either of them. 

Serve with a crusty French or Italian bread and a glass of Merlot or other wine of your choice. 

Oh, and please do not ask for exact measurements since it is all done by the seat of my pants. 

• Like 1

That looks good Tony, I make my wife lobster pasta with a white creme sauce almost every valentines day, might half to try a version of this.

14 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That looks good Tony, I make my wife lobster pasta with a white creme sauce almost every valentines day, might half to try a version of this.

Well, you can certainly add some lobster or crab chunks to this concoction. I doubt if I ever make it the same way twice. 🤣