Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

36A or 36B??

Hey everyone im brand new to the board and i am glad to be a member. I love hunting Coues Whitetail!! So i had a question for you guys. Im going to put in for the leftover whitetail tags in AZ of course and i have been trying to decide over 36A or 36B for the last month. From personal experience or what you kno, what unit would be better to hunt in late NOV. Or maybe what unit has more deer. Ill find the deer as long as there in the mtns lol. Help me out guys!!

Thanks!!

In my opinion both units are equally good and I would be happy with either one. I do believe that both units issue too many tags over the three early hunts, but hey thats why there are leftovers and its all about opportunity.

Bob

I have hunted both and am hunting 36a this year in the late nov hunt.

Put in for a or b and ill take you around a bit. Been in the areas ALOT. My hunting partner taught Kim Poolen and Ed Stockwell about hunting. 2 of the top couese deer record holders.

Well thanks vegasjeep i would love to see the unit! I actually put in for the 36b late nov tag so hopefully i pull it. If i do then maybe we can hunt together. Just an option u know?

I prefer 36A and will be there for the Nov 28th Hunt

My reasoning is actually not related to population. There is a lot less foot traffic. I have had a couple close calls in 36B if you know what I mean.

Generally the hunters in 36a are coming off of Arivaca Rd. If you come in from another area its generally kinda of quiet.

Anybody want to hook up let me know.

Put in for a or b and ill take you around a bit. Been in the areas ALOT. My hunting partner taught Kim Poolen and Ed Stockwell about hunting. 2 of the top couese deer record holders.

Who is your hunting partner? I'm not saying your friend didn't do as he says, but Ed Stockwell was a friend and I can't imagine anyone teaching him "about hunting." His bee-keeping business kept him outdoors in some of Arizona's best whitetail country year around, and in the last years of his life he was one of our state's better hunting guides.

Bill Quimby

Who is your hunting partner? I'm not saying your friend didn't do as he says, but Ed Stockwell was a friend and I can't imagine anyone teaching him "about hunting." His bee-keeping business kept him outdoors in some of Arizona's best whitetail country year around, and in the last years of his life he was one of our state's better hunting guides.

Bill Quimby

Kinda wondering to. He would have to be a pretty old fellar. Wasn,t Ed,s record deer shot in 1954?

Bill Quimby

I am related to and hunt with all the schaffners. I should have said did as old man Schaffner has passed as well. The middle brother Richard is my best friend.

As you roll in to Arivaca that had the big acre lot house on the left for YEARS. lots of pics of the Schaffners up in the Arivaca. The middle brother Richard worked for ed for years as well working all his bees.

Kim poolen also learned to hunt with the Schaffners. I think his deer is now number 5-6 not sure, it was number 2-3 but has slipped over the years. His deer was a complete accident.

We have a house off 3rd st in Arivaca now and one of us is there every weekend this time of year. If you guys want to know about hunting these guys have tons of stories between the 3 schaffner brothers who all lived in arivaca from the time they were born till they were well out of high school. Frank the youngest boy lives by the longbranch now.

I'll be returning to 36b from Nov 9th - 11th also with a leftover tag, was fortunate to get an 85 incher in there last year , I have a couple spots but if anyone wants to glass/hunt during this time drop me an IM.