Sign in to follow this  
kingbeer

over the counter tags

hey all,

i wanted to find out if anyone would be able to help me with some information. i didnt get drawn this yr and i wanted to do the over the counter deer tags and dont know where to get them?

any advise?

thanks all

ok so sorry if i sound dumb here, but mail in an app, and they you are able to go and get them at say walmart? or do you have to mail in the app and then it will be a second draw? sorry but i am new to the whole hunting thing and feel really stupid that i can figure this out.

thanks again

I think what Adicted is talking about is the over the counter archery tags, you can get those at Walmart, Sportsmans Warehouse and others. They are good for most units for the Aug-Sept. and December hunts. If you want a rifle tag you need to send in another application for the leftover draw, if there are any still left after August 4th you will be able to just go to Game and Fish and buy one. All info is in the regs. You can get them at Walmart or download them from here: http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/mainregs.pdf

Good Luck!

sweet deal, really want to do the rifle hunt (so will have to go in the left over draw) but will take the archery if i dont get that. i was reading the regs and i am not seeing if you have to add another fee with the app? or is it if they pick your app then they will hit your card on file for the tag?

yep...they hook you for the app fee on the main draw and the leftovers. I guess it makes sense though...2 different applications being processed.

They changed to a chart in the regs (p. 42) this year showing the units that are open for OTC archery and when. Used to be more confusing to keep straight since not all units are open for August and December seasons.

$58 check or money order

thanks for this. and i am taking it that if you dont get drawn then they will send it back to you?

yep...they hook you for the app fee on the main draw and the leftovers. I guess it makes sense though...2 different applications being processed.

They changed to a chart in the regs (p. 42) this year showing the units that are open for OTC archery and when. Used to be more confusing to keep straight since not all units are open for August and December seasons.

is there a different app for archery and for rilfe? or will it be the same and just depends on the unit you pick?

one app per species (so one app for deer and pick multiple hunts) like the regular draw, but I don't think there were any leftover archery hunts.

The OTC archery tag you just go and buy just like a license. No application. Lots of folks buy one in January and it's good all year for Jan, Aug, and Dec archery seasons.

ok, so then the left over tags would be for rifle then? cause i thought that the non-permit tags were for the archery only. like i said in the beginning i am new to all of this.

also can you go and get an archery only tag and then also put in for rifle left over draw?

Leftover tags are for whatever is on the leftover list. Sorry I can't post a link for some reason, but this year the leftover deer are all General, Muzzleloader, and Youth Muzzleloader hunts.

Yes you can get an OTC archery tag and any draw tag in the same year. (I always buy OTC archery tag in January...if I don't tag out in Jan then I put in for draw tag too.) The key thing is you can only kill one deer per year. So if you tag out during archery in August, then any draw tag is no longer legal. Or if you tag out on a draw tag, then your OTC archery tag isn't legal the rest of the year.

well i think that i am going to go and get an OTC bear for the fall hunts and put in for the deer left over draw. would love to have either one.

now when getting the OTC do you have to pic a unit or is it good for pretty much anywhere?

Leftover tags are for whatever is on the leftover list. Sorry I can't post a link for some reason, but this year the leftover deer are all General, Muzzleloader, and Youth Muzzleloader hunts.

Yes you can get an OTC archery tag and any draw tag in the same year. (I always buy OTC archery tag in January...if I don't tag out in Jan then I put in for draw tag too.) The key thing is you can only kill one deer per year. So if you tag out during archery in August, then any draw tag is no longer legal. Or if you tag out on a draw tag, then your OTC archery tag isn't legal the rest of the year.

but that makes sence and you would be able to maximize your hunting. but at least if you get something in jan then you are good for the yr, if not then you have some other chances. or just go for something else like bear!