Sign in to follow this  
nhunter84

bear

Good looking bear!

A fine for shooting a sow (female bear) ? Lol ok not every one will be looking at bears in a tree. glassing across a canyon or calling one in how many hunters would be able to tell? For the houndsman they have the time to look a bear over yes, but wouldn't be a real logical fine

Those of us who spot and stalk could just as easily say "something that would help out with the quota in our units is if they added a kill fee for every bear killed with the aid of hounds." It is what it is.

I'm going to be at the meetings for the next guidelines revision pushing for a rolling quota. If the sow quota is not met in the first hunt, then it rolls into the next hunt. So, say you have a four sow quota for the first hunt in 22S. If only two sows are killed, then you add two sows to the quota for the second hunt in 22S, and so on and so on. As it stands now, if you exceed the quota in the first hunt, you can end up shutting down the second hunt, so it should work the other way as well. If the biology would allow for a certain number of sows in a calendar year, then the later hunts should get the benefit of unfilled quotas in the earlier hunts.

• Like 1

Is it true that they count confirmed road killed sows into the yearly quota? I've heard yes and no on this.

Is it true that they count confirmed road killed sows into the yearly quota? I've heard yes and no on this.

From what I understand, and it's been a few years so my memory is a bit fuzzy, there is a separate administrative quota for bears killed through lethal removal and/or roadkill. If that quota is exceeded, then they will start to chip away at the hunt harvest quota.

• Like 1