Sign in to follow this  
CouesHunterAZ

Advice For Upcoming Unit 33 Mule Deer Hunt. More Like What Would You Do

Well I truly didn't believe all of the hunters out there that said all the mule bucks in 33 travel to unit 37 during rifle season. I had my good friend put in to hunt this area as his first big game hunt and needless to say, I would like to know what your guys input is for what my next move should be.

I have been archery hunting mule deer in 33 for five years now and have worked a specific area down to a tee. I have heard and read a lot about how all the bucks in this area will vanish over to unit 37 until december, but I never believed it because I have been out in this area rabbit hunting the past years during september-october and have always seen some bucks. These past two months we have gone out scouting 5 days and have came up with nothing but does. We have scouted hard, expanding my area and looking over every hill it seems in one specific area. Some of you probably know how frustrating this is, but I just can't believe that they are not in there somewhere. This past august I saw 3 different bucks at my "honey hole" ridge, and in january I saw 6 different bucks in the area.

The hunt begins on the 31st, and we planned to go check out some different areas this weekend, but school and work are kicking my butt and I won't have enough time. So my question is what would you guys do?

1) My "honey hole" is a spot that absolutely gets drilled by mule deer hunters (if you know 33 you know where I'm talking about), but the ridge I go to is always secluded from hunters and deer flock to it when people start pushing them around. So should I still have hope in this spot and spend opening weekend there praying that the other hunters will spook the bucks up?

2) Should I trust my scouting abilities and listen to what everyone else says and immediately try an unknown spot the first weekend.

3) My buddy and I have time off on monday and wednesday of the hunt as well, so should I go to the "honey hole" the first weekend, then make last ditch efforts to completely new areas.

I can't stop thinking about what decision and it is driving me crazy. All of your input is very helpful on this decision process, so please feel free to speak your mind on what you would do.

Thanks,

CouesHunterAZ

This weekend will be a game changer for the all deer as the whitetail hunters will be out banging around.

I am not a deer hunter, but I have never NOT seen bucks in unit 33 when hunting javelina in my honey hole. If their food, water, and shelter is there, I would trust them to stick around and just be patient and work your spot on opening day.