Sign in to follow this  
KidBowHunter

Oak Creek?

I have Spring Break next week so my dad (bowsniper) and I are thinking about going up somewhere for a day or two to fish. Anyone ever fished Oak Creek?

Oak Creek had flows over 9000 cfs yesterday. Maybe some others would disagree, but that's a lot for the fish to adjust back from in just one week, IMO. I'd look elsewhere based on your timing, otherwise Oak Creek is a good deal if you can find the secluded areas.

• Like 1

Outside of the high flows right now, if you are thinking of fishing it in the canyon I'm not sure O.C. has completely recovered from the run-off due to the fire in the summer of 2013. My family has a small place in the canyon and in my last two trips in late fall/early winter yielded one fish on each trip, both trout went into shock the minute they were hooked and did not recover even though they were immediately released and not removed from the water. I stopped fishing after each catch and I do not think I will fish it again this year. Other angler experiences on the creek have been more favorable of late, but that's been my experience.

If you have a few days and want to get into trout I'd try Lee's Ferry or Silver Creek. If you got Silver Creek I'd fish it for a day and then swing around and hit Chevelon from the north, if you guys have float tubes or a portable watercraft.

Thanks guys! I didn't even think about the flows..will probably try Silver Creek then.

I was in Show Low this last weekend and it did not get hit very hard with precip, mostly wind. The weather is going to be great up there next week, Silver Creek was a great recommendation.

Carp fishing above Bartlet and below Horseshoe dam is always a lot of fun. They will be spawning soon. In a good day you will catch 20-50 carp #5-#20 pounds. They can be a lot of fun on light line...

• Like 1

Carp fishing above Bartlet and below Horseshoe dam is always a lot of fun. They will be spawning soon. In a good day you will catch 20-50 carp #5-#20 pounds. They can be a lot of fun on light line...

I would avoid that area too. Basically anything on the west side of beeline got hammered the last few days.

Horseshoe was set to retain water for the next 2 months as they are doing work on the dam, however with the sustained flows of 19,000 cfs coming into the lake right now, they are going to have to open up the valve and water will be flowing ~3000 cfs out of horseshoe into bartlett sometime in the next week. Going to be nasty down there for a few weeks thereafter. The attached image is current as of this post.

post-3844-0-13399400-1425412499.jpg

I would avoid that area too. Basically anything on the west side of beeline got hammered the last few days.

Horseshoe was set to retain water for the next 2 months as they are doing work on the dam, however with the sustained flows of 19,000 cfs coming into the lake right now, they are going to have to open up the valve and water will be flowing ~3000 cfs out of horseshoe into bartlett sometime in the next week. Going to be nasty down there for a few weeks thereafter. The attached image is current as of this post.

attachicon.gif3-3-2015 12-54-10 PM.jpg

Good info, Thanks! I was planning on heading there this coming weekend. You saved me a trip! Too bad, because I was really looking forward to it. The fishing should get better in a couple of weeks!

Any idea when the will increase the flows below Saguaro lake

Should be similar to every year, the water orders typically switch from the Verde to the Salt sometime between April 15th and May 1st. The exact dates depend on several factors, but the release should always switch before June 1st at the latest.

Also, an update on the Horseshoe release. As of 1:30pm today the dam is open, with no set closing date, and they may even leave it open to fill Bartlett.

Should be similar to every year, the water orders typically switch from the Verde to the Salt sometime between April 15th and May 1st. The exact dates depend on several factors, but the release should always switch before June 1st at the latest.

Also, an update on the Horseshoe release. As of 1:30pm today the dam is open, with no set closing date, and they may even leave it open to fill Bartlett.

Great Info!!!! Thanks for the update!

Your very welcome Adam, and sorry to hijack the post KidBowHunter! Good luck fishing with your dad, do it as much as you can, they are by far the most vivid and best memories I have with mine!

Your very welcome Adam, and sorry to hijack the post KidBowHunter! Good luck fishing with your dad, do it as much as you can, they are by far the most vivid and best memories I have with mine!

No problem. Thanks for all the info!

If you fly fishing, Canyon Creek is another great option!

• Like 1