Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Most Memorable Coues

My most memorable hunt would have to be my first hunt. That was my smallest buck but we had a great time. It looks like Chef has made a couple memorable hunts so far.

post-1717-0-22662100-1499400132_thumb.jpg

Now the best hunt I have been on was with Ernesto down in Mexico some years ago. We all took some great bucks.

post-1717-0-61483300-1499400306_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I think my first coues is still the most memorable. There was a few more days of season left, but I was leaving in a couple days to head over seas for a couple weeks, so it was my last day to hunt. I'd blown a couple opportunities already, so I was happy to have another crack at a deer. I had hiked about 1-1/2 hours in to one of my favorite spots and was setting up a decoy to give that a try when I looked up and saw this little buck watching me from up the hill. I was already kneeling, so I put an arrow on the string, ranged him, thought it over.... ranged him again and decided to take the shot. 78.5 yards from me knees.

That's been my longest kill shot and longest pack-out both so far. I hope to never break either of those records. That 1.5 hour hike in took about 3.5 going out. Agonizing! Every step it felt like my leg muscles were about to jump right off the bone. I did it 20 steps at a time, then stop & rest. Pack weighed in at 80 lbs when I got home, but it was heavier than that at the beginning when I still had all my water. Small deer, but a big way to wrap up a tough season. I'll take it.

post-1431-0-30322600-1499454990_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-49495300-1499455002_thumb.jpg

• Like 5