• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ernesto C

Ernesto C

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Interests:Making dream hunts a reality!

Hi everyone, just giving you a heads up. On January 8, 2017, a new law went into effect for travelers going into Sonora Mexico outside the "Free Zone". If you drive a 1/2 ton truck and/or if you stay inside the Free Zone this law does not affect you.

If in the vehicle registration states that the weight (GVW) of the truck is 7,750 lbs or more, you wont be able to get a truck permit therefore you wont be able to take your truck to your scouting or hunting trip. Pick up trucks with dual tires or dually wont be able to cross into Mexico.

If you travel outside the Free Zone and have a 3/4 ton truck (F-250 or Chevy or Dodge 2500) make sure in the vehicle registration the weight is blank or less than 7,750 lbs...if it's not blank or less than that, my suggestion is that you go to your MVD and get a new registration showing no GVW on it before you go into your scouting/hunting trip. 

To me, is a law that doesn't make sense but any way....I just hope with this info I can save you a headache or a days worth of your time if you show up there and are not able to get a truck permit.

To all going to hunt in Sonora Mexico good luck and have a excellent hunting trip and season.

Ernesto C.

vehicle gross weight..jpg

#2 MULEPACKHUNTER

MULEPACKHUNTER

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts
  • Interests:Cooking
W T H !!!
"My opinions and comments are just that mine and are not to be taken too seriously"
Mike

#3 Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Good ol' Mexico.  Where they change laws for no reason, at the drop of a hat, and half the crossings don't get the memo anyways. 

Good info to know Ernesto, thanks for posting.  That could wreck a trip real fst. 

"Coues Deer Hitman"

#4 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
Hey Ernesto-
Thanks for answering my question yesterday on Facebook. I have another for you or anyone else. How far in advance do you need to start send permit stuff in (rifle, truck, etc.)
Thanks

#5 Ernesto C

Ernesto C

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts
Thanks Sniper. Hey rossislider for your truck you can get your permits right there at the border or you can order them online..once I get off work I will send you the link and tell you how to do it and what will you need.
For your rifle...the sooner you give your Outfitter the info the better but you can get your gun permit in two or three weeks but don't push it you know. I usually get all my gun permits done by September don't like to wait till the end.

#6 BRYCE CANYON

BRYCE CANYON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
Thanks for the info!

#7 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Thanks Sniper. Hey rossislider for your truck you can get your permits right there at the border or you can order them online..once I get off work I will send you the link and tell you how to do it and what will you need.
For your rifle...the sooner you give your Outfitter the info the better but you can get your gun permit in two or three weeks but don't push it you know. I usually get all my gun permits done by September don't like to wait till the end.

Thanks

#8 Ernesto C

Ernesto C

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

UPDATE!  Guys, it's 7,716 lbs and not 7,750 as I originally posted, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users