Sign in to follow this  
JeanBee

How to choose hard armor plates?

With the rapid development of science and technology, firearms become more and more powerful. Do you know how to choose a practical hard armor plate when it comes to an active shooter incident? Here is some information for you to make an armor plate protection choice. According to the NIJ standard, hard armor plates have two protection levels, III and IV. NIJ level III plates are rated to stop regular rifle bullets, such as M80 NATO Balls, AK lead cores. NIJ level IV plates are rated to stop armor piercing projectiles, such as M2 Armor Piercing (AP), AK Armor Piercing Incendiary (API). Given the difference between hard armor plates with different protection levels, you can choose hard armor plates rationally. Currently, there are mainly three materials used to make hard armor plates, steel, polyethylene, and ceramic, and their characteristics are as follows: (PE plates and ceramics plates are all available in Newtech)     

1.    STEEL

The first steel hard armor plate was appeared in the Second World War, and it has always been the mainstream of hard armor plates until 20-30 years ago, when the PE plate and ceramic plate were brought into being. After that, steel hard armor plates have gradually been replaced, especially in military and police force. Steel plates are strong enough to provide great protection with a less cost, but they are easily broken upon impact, resulting in secondary fragmentation injuries, and are heavier than both polyethylene and ceramic plates. In view of the above, the steel plate is not the best choice.

2.    POLYETHYLENE

Polyethylene (PE) is a thermoplastic. In the manufacturing process of PE plates, unidirectional UHMWPE (Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) is bonded over HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) sheet, and then cut to shape, placed in a mold, and compressed under high heat and pressure. Bullets spinning always bring friction against plates, which cause the melting of polyethylene, and the melted polyethylene can stick the bullet in turn. After that, the melted polyethylene will re-solidify quickly. A PE plate weighs 1 to 1.5 ponds, much lighter than both ceramic steel plates. However, due to the limitations of the current material technology, we are still unable to produce PE plates with higher protection levels. Therefore, PE plates are not recommended when there are bigger threats, such as armor piercing rounds (AP). In addition, polyethylene plates are also 200%-300% costlier than ceramic ones.

3.    CERAMIC Ceramic hard armor plate is a new type of plate made of compounded material. In collision with bullets, localized ceramic fragments caused by hypervelocity impact promote a great release of bullet energy, and then the bullet is battered to fragments, which finally caught by backing material, such as PE or aramid fiber. There are also some imperfections of ceramic plates. For example, it cannot withstand a second hit on the same spot. Ceramic plates can be made of several materials, mainly alumina, silicon carbide, and boron carbide. Today’s ceramic plates are much more lighter and stronger than in the past. Some manufacturers, such as Newtech, can produce ceramic plates with the basically same weight of PE plates. The weight and price of ceramic plates vary according to the materials used, which can meet the various requirements of customers. Compare with PE plates with the same protection level, the ceramic plate has a lighter weight, more popular price, even smaller thickness. So, for most buyers, it is undoubtedly a good choice.

Don't let the antis see this.  They will be darting game and hanging these plates on them for release back into the wild...

Jean- not sure why this was your introduction post but I will bite-- After a dozen years of wearing various hard and soft armor I have a fair amount of experience in the practical application of hard plates and have my share of looking around as well for the best options. I think your post makes good points BUT you are spreading some common misconceptions. As with most things there are always trade offs with armor.  Weight, thickness, protection level and cost are the biggest variables. You can get thin, light and AP level protection.... but it is gonna cost you. So here we go....

1. Steel- Lots of companies making steel plates. Ricochets and spalling are an issue which is why they've developed multiple curve designs and coatings that mitigate the spall from the bullet jacket and steel fragments from the armor. They are the heaviest choice, but they offer solid protection and they tend to be the THINNEST. Even coated they tend to be significantly thinner than ceramic or poly. They are also the cheapest. Additionally there are folks that make covers for the plates in lieu of coating so you have options to go super thin (.3") or add the bag and be up to .4-.5" thickness. The plates available today don't have the issues with surviving multiple hits. They are also available in an abundance of sizes and shapes.

2. Poly- There are companies making UHMWPE plates but they tend to be upwards of twice as thick as steel plates to get equivalent levels of protection. As you stated the biggest benefit of Poly is the weight... the drawback is the cost.  For my daily protection I wear a poly plate that is rated to stop 5.56 ball and 7.62 ball (AK)- it is right around .5"  and weights 1.4lbs so it fits within my soft armor and doesn't wear me out after a 12hr shift... it was not cheap.. but life isn't cheap!!  Every day there are more and more poly style plates available with better and better levels of protection. Typically only available in a few standard sizes.

3. Ceramic- Here is my biggest problem with your write up-- I've personally observed ceramic plates that stopped multiple PKM rounds from as close as 15ft. These were plates issue in the mid 2000s, not even close to on par with todays technology. Originally these plates were considered relatively fragile and they were made to be almost 1" thick!!  Not very light either. Technology is speeding forward with ceramics like you stated. They are getting stronger, thinner and lighter... but more expensive. There are plates on the market now that are .5" or thinner and will stop 7.62API multiple hits. Typically only available in standard sizes.

For folks who are more interested on the subject I'll gladly share my experiences, observations and the rationale for the choices I've made.

• Like 2