Sign in to follow this  
Coach

New Muzzy

Ok, I'm going to buy a new front-stuffer and I've been all over the 'net trying to figure out which one is best. Price isn't a *major* factor, but let's just say I'm not willing to drop 2 grand for an "Ultimate Firearms" ML.

I plan on topping it with a quality scope like the Luepold Ultimate Slam or Nikon Omega. So far I've narrowed it down like this:

Knight Long Range Hunter (Thumbhole)

TC Omega (Thumbhole)

TC Triumph (Ugly as heck, but everyone seems to love them)

And finally, just to get the traditionalists in an uproar...

The Savage 10MLBTSS-II (shoots smokeless powder in addition to conventional BP substitutes)

First off, I'm a firm believer in Savage guns and LOVE the accu-trigger, but according to the regs for both AZ and NM, it probably isn't *technically* legal to shoot a smokeless ML, although neither state comes out and clearly defines "Black Powder Substitutes". Technically, any smokeless powder is a black powder substitute, but I don't think that's what they had in mind when they wrote the regs. Pyrodex and Tripple7 both have to mix in additives to make them smoke like black powder - go figure. If AZ and NM follow the trend of other states, an allowance could be made for smokeless MLs which would definately tip the scales toward the Savage.

Secondly, I'm a bit picky about the "looks" of a gun. All of the above are very nice looking guns with the exception of the truimph - IMO. It looks like my dad's old break-over 20 guage mated with a Hawkins and the offspring got "plastic surgery" :rolleyes: . However when you read the customer reviews of the Triumph on Cabela's web site, they seem to be the best thing since sliced bread.

That said, I can get the truimph WITH a good scope for what the other three cost bare-bones.

So, I'm not worried about the technology factor - I've got a Hawkins .50 cal flintlock and a matching cap-lock from Grandpa for those "rough-it" hunts. I just want to get one good in-line that is well suited for long-range shooting.

Any advice that can help me narrow down the choices would be great. Google any of the above and you'll find a huge fan base, so it's a little hard to figure out just which one will be the right one, and I don't want to go through the hassle of buying/selling/rebuying.

Thanks,

Jason

If you plan on possibly using it in states that do not allow sabots, stay away from the Omega. They do not seem to like conicals, although I'm sure you could get one to shoot them if you worked at it.

I believe you can still shoot the Savage, just load it with blackpowder substitute instead of smokeless. I've heard they shoot great.

I like Knights, but I want to get a White too. You can get them once in a while in the classifieds on MM or Modern Muzzleloaders.

I didnt know a lot about muzzleloaders but have a friend (gr8 wht jr) who spoke really highly of knights.

I bought a Knight from Desertbull. I love that thing and its acurate as can be.