Sign in to follow this  
452b264

Absolute Hammer Hunters

I am just finishing load work for my 280 AI  140 gr. Absolute hunter. Nosler brass, 58 GR.  H4350, seated 3.695 Fed. 215 M primer, .003 neck tension,  1/8 turn LCD 3228 fps.

280 ai AH 140 GR. 1 8TH TURN.jpg

• Like 3

Dang that’s a great group! Why the mag primer? I’ve always used 210’s in my 280ai. 
What kind of dies are you using? And what’s your process for getting the neck tension at .003?

• Like 1

Steve the owner of Hammer bullets recommends a magnum primer for all of the larger cases. You may see a lower ES, and a bit more velocity. I reached 3300 fps but had an extractor mark on my brass, Steve uses RL 16 to get 3320 for his finished load.

The Absolute Hunters dont use your typical slow powders  the bullet doesn't have a normal ogive and creates less pressure so you need more powder in the case so you would use a faster powder (H4350/RL 16). You would normally use H4831 or RL 23 etc. for a 140/143/145 class all copper bullets. The standard hammer hunter will use those slower powders.

I use Redding bushing neck die (this is how you control; neck tension) you want .002/.003 neck tension then crimp, a body die and a competition seating die. The final step is the Lee crimp die its a must have.

Absolute Hammer Load Data Post (5-27).pdf

Absolute Hammer Load Data Post (4-7).pdf

• Like 2

What barrel and twist are you using? I am building a 280ai, got the action and bolt all trued up. now its time for a barrel and I havent decided on which one yet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Delw said:

What barrel and twist are you using? I am building a 280ai, got the action and bolt all trued up. now its time for a barrel and I havent decided on which one yet.

My rifles specs: 

Remington 700 PTG bolt (.703) trued by Phoenix custom rifles

Brux  26 1/4 #3 9 twist

GreyBoe Terrian stock Devcon bedded (These stocks come with pillars)

Hawkins BDL floor plate (the Greyboe bdl metal is very good quality also)

Trigger Tech Special  set at 1.5 #.

Seekins 20 moa base and rings.

I would go with a 1/8.4 or 1/8 twist if you what to use the 175 gr. bullets, Hammer bullets also makes a 155 Absolute hunter you will get about 3150/3200 fps from it but you need a faster twist then 1/9

The Bartlien carbon fiber or steel, Brux or Proof research. 

REM 280AI.jpg

1 hour ago, 452b264 said:

Steve the owner of Hammer bullets recommends a magnum primer for all of the larger cases. You may see a lower ES, and a bit more velocity. I reached 3300 fps but had an extractor mark on my brass, Steve uses RL 16 to get 3320 for his finished load.

The Absolute Hunters dont use your typical slow powders  the bullet doesn't have a normal ogive and creates less pressure so you need more powder in the case so you would use a faster powder (H4350/RL 16). You would normally use H4831 or RL 23 etc. for a 140/143/145 class all copper bullets. The standard hammer hunter will use those class of powders.

I use Redding bushing neck die (this is how you control; neck tension)  a body die and a competition seating die. The final step is the Lee crimp die its a must have.

I just ordered a set of Redding type s dies hoping to get better control of the neck tension in my reloading. As you stated I have always used H4831 in the 280ai. I recently bought some of the 143 Hammer Hunters, in hopes of getting drawn for antelope, but didn't. I really need to get them loaded up and see how they shoot. I saw you had some for sale, did they not shoot as good as the absolute hammer?

31 minutes ago, briant_az said:

I just ordered a set of Redding type s dies hoping to get better control of the neck tension in my reloading. As you stated I have always used H4831 in the 280ai. I recently bought some of the 143 Hammer Hunters, in hopes of getting drawn for antelope, but didn't. I really need to get them loaded up and see how they shoot. I saw you had some for sale, did they not shoot as good as the absolute hammer?

They shot the same absolutely no difference in the group size you can just get the AH going faster. I just posted a pdf for some of the load data thats been collected.

I used H4831 sc with the standard Hammer Hunter.

I like accuracy and good brass life over peak speed and the AH gives me a bit of both.

Dont forget the Lee Factory crimp die its more important then you think. It can cut your groups in half and bump up the velocity. The hammer bullets love neck tension but make sure your not on the band when you crimp it needs to be in between the bands. 

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/factory-crimp-die/

• Like 2

Thanks for the info on the barrel

Thats intesting on the lee crimp die. I heard good stuff on those for pistol ammo bought one for my 45 but havent used it yet.

Havent crimped a rifle round in forever cause they just gave bad accuracy. now you have me thinking about using the lee crimps. Granted the were old school crimps back then even thought the brass was al uniformed and to the same size neck and oal.

I dont even crimp them on the m1a1 ammo or the ar-15 ammo but now you got my curiosity.

Thanks.

My next barrel will have a 1/8.4 twist at a minimum. 

The redding type S dies are also very important imho you can set neck tension from .002 to .004, much more than that and it causes crushed cases or damaged bullets. 

When using the crimp die start out with a light crimp 1/8 turn. My groups open up with each additional 1/8 turn of the die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 452b264 said:

They shot the same absolutely no difference in the group size you can just get the AH going faster. I just posted a pdf for some of the load data thats been collected.

I used H4831 sc with the standard Hammer Hunter.

I like accuracy and good brass life over peak speed and the AH gives me a bit of both.

Dont forget the Lee Factory crimp die its more important then you think. It can cut your groups in half and bump up the velocity. The hammer bullets love neck tension but make sure your not on the band when you crimp it needs to be in between the bands. 

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/factory-crimp-die/

I had to order bushings today so I threw the crimp die in the cart also. Thank you for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briant_az said:

I had to order bushings today so I threw the crimp die in the cart also. Thank you for the info!

With H4831 you might hit pressure around 3180/3220 I did but my rifle shot real well at 3030/40 fps. 

Dont worry if you only have 210 primers your rifle may like them.

1 hour ago, 452b264 said:

With H4831 you might hit pressure around 3180/3220 I did but my rifle shot real well at 3030/40 fps. 

Dont worry if you only have 210 primers your rifle may like them.

I've got plenty of both....I was just curious about the 215 because I've never seen them used in any reloading data.