Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

357 harret for elk?

Every bullet has a expansion rate its based on volocity at a given distance .I've seen fast shooting bullets such as my 300 win 180 gr pass right thru elk inside of 100 yds last cow ran 80 to 90 yds shot thru shoulder at about90 yds broke the shoulder and took out the top of the heart still ran with not a drop of blood on the ground .yes speed and weight equil energy but most bullets have an applied expantion rate for a set distance if your to close bullet don't open and pass thru to far and bullet hits but bounces off or breaks up.

Its how the bullet is constructed there is info on expansion rates on most bullets at a given volocity .on my muzzy powerbelt has a chart for example that shows what each bullet does with a different charge and some open at lighter charges and others do not I've looked for example on the xtp and couldn't find for that size 

Years ago my son was drawn for an elk hunt, he was 9 or 10 at the time and quite recoil shy and all he had was a .357 maximum T/C Contender with a 16 1/2” bbl

I did a lot of research and ended up getting some 215 grain hardcast  bullets, loaded them up and got nice accuracy at 100 yds. 
he ended up not liking it because the recoil became a bit stout, with all my research and load development I was 100% confident that any elk within 100 yds was dead. 
in the end we ended up buying him a .243 and I loaded him up with 100 grain Nosler partitions to which he killed a spike bull at 137 yds. 
killed it stone dead and the bullet passed through. 

Awsome my dad has a 357 max I haven't got to shoot it yet as he lives in .ca but he says its stout in the hand .good for you to get your kid out hunting I wish my daughter was into it as I've got many guns and only her to pass them to .I'm also the only son my dad will give any guns to and I've got 3 brothers

• Like 1