Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Opah Fish Kill Bag / Soft Sided Cooler - On going Review

This will be an on going review

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

Been on the hunt for a fish kill bag and finally found one, Opah (https://opahgear.com/).  The biggest flaw of them all is they leak.   Read through tons of posts and watched vids and finally decided that Opah was the one to buy.  Now the question, which freaking size.  I watched their videos on YT and tried to "imagine" and finally decided that the Fathom 5 Deep was best for me, see sizes midway down https://opahgear.com/pages/owners-manual.  I went for the deep model to allow to pack the top with ice for the drive back to AZ.  figure gas stop is an ice top of stop too.  This size will get me a few good tuna and yellowtail and I can store them in the bag for a few days whole,  until processing at home is complete.  I wanted to bring whole fish home to make more sashimi and the fish needs to kept nice and cold.  My buddy uses another bag and bring his home this way, but his leaks.

I finally broke down and made the purchase direct from the manufactures website, was cheaper than buying from Amazon.  A week later a large box shows up and it was play time.  Got it all unpacked and figured why not test it out and fill it up.  I headed out to the drive way and filled it up and thought, dang, this things is a nice size tub, I can sit in it, no leaks.  The bag is a solid built tank. Straps and handles are solid.  The insulation is 2 inches thick and well yah you can roll it up, kinda, but it does work.  It is not small.  But to fit and carry large tuna whole, heck yah, this will do the freaking job just right.  It does come with some small builtin straps to cinch it all together when you roll / tri fold it up.  I didn't measure, but rolled/folded it was about the size of a 55qt cooler.  but opens up to 60lx30hx18w.

Have a fishing trip coming up this weekend, will see how this works with carrying fish and storing for processing.

I will be using this for hunting and storing quarters as well.

Will update review as time goes on.

20210803_171048.jpg

20210730_104602.jpg

20210730_104620.jpg

• Like 1

Didnt use on my trip, juat filet and ate.  I will be sharing the bag with  friend for an antelope hunt and for future deer and fishing trips.  Will continue to update.