Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

First timer - Unit 30B early December hunt

Hi there all! Firstly I apologize if I am placing this in the wrong place!

I am a South African here on a long term working visa and I was lucky enough (well, at least I hope) to draw Unit 30B late November - early December rifle tag for Coues Deer. This will be my very first hunt outside of South Africa :-/ I am sorted for a rifle (280AI), backpack, binoculars and general gear - but I would appreciate any of your valuable advise on essential gear, tactics and even recommended places to search within that unit as the posts I can find on this site are rather dated. It may sound somewhat strange, but while I have hunted extensively in South Africa with some success, I'm used to hunting with a tracker - so this is certain to be an education (the Coues biology section is an awesome reference too!)

I have purchased OnX maps and can see that there is a ton of private land in the area which I'm sure will be fun to navigate around...

Main tips which I’m sure you already know.

Glass and Scout!

It’s a big unit so try to scout at least a couple times before the hunt and go early for your hunt to get extra scouting in if possible.

Don’t stretch yourself thin and try to cover all over the unit. Pick like 3 areas and spend time checking it out. 
Look for track, droppings, check water, (the basics)

There are resources from game and fish and other websites that give good starting areas to find deer, so make sure to check that out.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time glassing. Be patient with it. . Use a grid pattern in glassing hillsides.

Make sure you’re not on private land. 

Be prepared to hike and get into some rugged country. 

Azgfd will tell you to check out the Mule mtns near Bisbee . That may be a place to start

Bring help. To glass and hopefully to help you pack our your buck. 

Bunch of random tips and info , good luck on your hunt 

• Like 2

Never hunted this unit but all the tips above are great advice .I would say the most over looked way to find a good grid to check is Google earth it will show you a lot more than you think. Water sources and even trails if you rotate the maps just know some are dated and the things you see may not be there but it will give you gps# you can use to get a start

• Like 1

Where are you located? I live close to 30b and have some spots. If you come down my way I can give even take you to some spots and show you how to approach ot as far as the "how to" of hunting coues deer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Where are you located? I live close to 30b and have some spots. If you come down my way I can give even take you to some spots and show you how to approach ot as far as the "how to" of hunting coues deer.

This is a really good offer! 

• Like 2